Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud/Classical/Folk music in Lebanon
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-31-2004 at 06:11 AM
Oud/Classical/Folk music in Lebanon

If I were visiting Lebanon, where are the best places to hear great music? Just the classical and folkloric music. (I'm not interested in fusion, jazz, pop, and especially NOT Belly Dancing) Somewhere I can take a family, so a night club is out. Are there any specific festivals in the area (Damascus maybe) which are better than others?

palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 12-31-2004 at 09:09 AM

the beit et dein festival usually happens around the summer time i beleive. And I know Fairuz is pretty active with it. I was at a hotel once in beirut. You pay 35 dolars a person and they give you a fabulous spread, with many courses. And they have a house band with a singer on the oud, tablas, riks and violins. It was a better experience I had than going to any of the clubs. You can also order argeeleh too. Ill try to get the name of that hotel so you can make reservations.

Also if you want to go to amman, Jordan before lebanon, they have the jarache festival every year as well in the city of jarache and they perform in the old roman amphitheatres. Its a great show. I think one year they had el funoon doing debkeh, they are a tradional palestinian fol troup and I saw Najwa Karam.
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 12-31-2004 at 10:46 AM

Hi Jameel,

We might be going to Lebanon next Summer also. I'll check with my brother, he knows Lebanon as the back of his hand (he probably hiked every centimeter of it as a scout.)

You can also check the "Entertainment" sidebar and the "What's on" tab at the bottom of http://web.naharnet.com/. It is updated regularly.

Another place with live performances, good food and a place to see is called "Jannit bite murri", you'll need to call them to check about performances specifics, times and dates.

Bon Voyage
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-31-2004 at 10:53 AM

Oh, another site to check is http://www.downtownbeirut.com/
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-1-2005 at 02:15 PM

Thanks! I'd like the name of that hotel. My father was in Lebanon in the 60's several times and THE hotel then was the Phoenician.

palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 1-1-2005 at 05:04 PM

That name, the phoenecian is strikingly familiar. I think that could be the one. I was there 2 summers ago but I will find out for sure. Aso I remember baalback has a festival too, then you can vist Nazih Ghadban while your there.
tezza
Oud Addict

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 1-1-2005 at 09:27 PM

Hi Jameel,
I’ve written a fair bit on travelling in Lebanon, so here’s a few tips.
If you’re going in February, there’s the Al Bustan Festival (http://www.albustanfestival.com) that showcases classical music. It’s held at the luxurious Al Bustan hotel at Beit Mery which is up behind Beirut (wonderful views). If you do go there visit nearby Mounir, a wonderful Lebanese seafood restaurant.
The Beiteddine festival is held in July and August and is a more Arabic in flavour but they don’t have a website. Byblos (byblosfestival.org) and Baalbek (baalbeck.org.lb) both have summer festivals and they’re pretty eclectic with their guests.
In Beirut, your best chance to see live oud (not aimed at tourists) is Gemmayzeh Café on Rue Gouraud. It has good food and it’s best to make a booking for dinner/performance. For classical, the best idea is to keep an eye on the newspapers, any of the Arabic ones and Herald Tribune in English which has a Beirut supplement in it, as the cultural foundations often have classical music nights.
The Phoenecian is back and it's huge as it's been revamped and expanded. It's fine if you get a good deal, although le tout beirut hasn't really returned. It's an Intercontinental hotel (http://www.ichotelsgroup.com) -- I prefer the petit Phoenecian which is around the corner.

T
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-2-2005 at 10:06 AM

Hi Jameel,

Here is a suggestion from my brother:
"...For festivals he has to wait till the summer, contact MEA (Middle East Airlines) offices or any Authorized distributor in which he can find a booklet containing all the information he would need regarding such festivals and it will also include restaurants and Café's where he can listen to folkloric and eastern music."
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-2-2005 at 02:46 PM

Thanks, Tezza and Elie. I appreciate your help. Great information!

Go To Top