Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Crazy weather, crazy oud!!
danieletarab
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-15-2014 at 08:31 AM
Crazy weather, crazy oud!!

Hello guys!
I live in Sicily (south of Italy). Usually we have a quite fresh autumn. THis year this October is being EXTREMELY hot (like in June) especially in these last 2 days.. People are using air conditioning (I don't). It's very warm and humid.
I have always had problems with my ouds when the weather is like this, but honestly I thought that I wouldn't have had such problems with my new Turunz oud. It was going perfectly so far; now, it gets out of tune every minute (especially the first string) and yesterday and today I couldn't play it at all.
I have to say that September was much fresher, and that temperature goes up and down of ten degrees and more within few hours.
With this crazy weather, do you think it's normal that I can't play my oud?
How should I do if I were to have concerts? If it's normal, I will just wait for the weather to set up to start to play again, but I am afraid there's something wrong in the oud, in the strings, or in the way I put them. But I repeat that I have been playng it for weeks, and it was perfect.
I am quite frustrated!
Thank you for your attention.
Daniele

DavidJE
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-15-2014 at 10:10 AM

What's happening with your oud Daniele? I mean, why is it that you cannot play it? Have you asked Faruk about this?
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-15-2014 at 12:10 PM

Do you have a measure of the relative humidity? Fluctuating high humidity levels can cause havoc with tuning day to day and can make an instrument sound 'dull' due to increased stresses caused by wood expansion. Does your oud smell of warm hide glue (I assume that Faruk Turunz uses hot hide glue?)?
Unlikely - but are you using gut strings?
Most likely the problem is weather related rather than any instrument fault?
DoggerelPundit
Oud Junkie

Mood: Odar

[*] posted on 10-16-2014 at 12:25 PM

Body heat is a factor. Depending on the surrounding micro-climate, an oud will sharpen in the first two courses after 2-3 minutes held against your body. The same effect can happen when taking it straight out of a closed hard case into a micro-climate different from, or opposite the extreme of what the case was in for the previous few hours.

Ironically, the better made the oud the more likely this is to be the case. Almost all wood moves in response to surrounding temp and humidity. An oud that is more furniture than instrument won't move much; about like a chest of drawers. A light and finely built instrument, on the other hand, will respond more broadly to slight changes in temp and humidity in the same way it responds more broadly to the way you play it.

My 2 cents

Stephen
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 10-16-2014 at 07:40 PM

Don't feel bad.. it's been the same here in New York, last few days incredibly warm and very very humid. It resulted in instruments that are normally stable, to be out of tune. I noticed 75% relative humidity in my shop, and it was fairly dry right before that, so the change is bad. Things will stabilize soon, unless armageddon comes.. or should I say oudageddon!!

franck leriche
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-17-2014 at 11:02 AM

I had the same kind of issue in october in Morocco two years ago( 35° and 90% humidity), the action turn out to 1mm ...then everything went fine, only a bad souvenir!!!

Be happy you don't play iranian târ , every time the weather's a bit humid it's a nightmare....
danieletarab
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-19-2014 at 07:59 AM

Thank you guys! Actually it seems to be better. The weather is still crazy but a little bit less. Thank you for the reference to iranian Tar; I was actually thinking of buying one, but I couldn't stand an even more sensible instrument than oud!
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 10:30 AM

Hey guys!

Sometimes I really don't understand at all what you are talking about :))

October is as warm as july so Your ouds become unplayable??
Does this applay to all of you guys in warm countries?
All Your ouds? You all agree??

I have been in Lebanon for the sommer and october. 30 degrees 80/90% humidity. No problems With any of my ouds! I "feel" some defference in the stiffness and sustain. But the ouds are playable as always.

I CANNOT be an ecception!!

Well when I was Young and played bad ouds, With bad or old strings, bad tuning pegs... yes, I had that problem..
But that was many many years ago.
Not nowadays, With good ouds and good strings...

Anyone who has some reasonable explanation please enlighten me.

The wood might be dead, but the oud is alive.
franck leriche
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 11:51 AM

It happened to me only once with a turkish bracing, the soundboard was super thin, very flexible, low action and light tension....I had only one oud with me when it happened, so i can't compare.
Never happened again.
danieletarab
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 12:12 PM

The weather got colder, and the tuning now is fine. So, it seems to be a problem of weather after all!
I understand what Luttgutt say, and I wonder if arabic ouds with thicker soundboard stand the heat, humidity and climate changes better than turkish made ouds (which feature a very thin soundboard).
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 10-21-2014 at 09:37 AM

I live in Vancouver, and the weather is extremely humid here, usually between 80% to 100%. But fortunately my Dimitris Oud has never suffered from tuning issues, going sharp or flat. What does happen though the ebony tuning pegs react a lot to humidity so they often get stuck in the holes or they get too loose.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the soundboard is made from Canadian Spruce?

Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 10-21-2014 at 01:25 PM

Hi again!

It sounds reasonable that thin sound Board might have to do With it. Maybe oud makers can give an explanation...?

When it comes to tuning, Fadi Matta tought me a trick that has worked wanderfull for my ouds:

Soap (dry) and Chalk!
One line of each on the peg. turn it many times both ways. Add more chalk or soap depending on if it sticks or too lose.

Recommanded :))

The wood might be dead, but the oud is alive.

Go To Top