Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: my first oud
nati
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 12:18 AM

hey richard thank you for reapleiyng!
well.... i had to learn it in the difficult way/ the sound wasent good and im taking out the face now:(:(:(:(
the reason i decided to do the kerfing is because i sew sabasy recomendeition for that and i realy like sabasy ouds..
i will take the kerfing out now and i hope i wont do any demege for the oud.
i also thinkung about to more rose holes what do you think?
all the best
neti
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 08:55 PM

how many holes does it have now? Many old ouds had only one, later the three hole pattern was used, I have seen other patterns, buy do not know what the effect is. The face produces the sound, and it seems it doesn't take much to do it as the three holes demonstrates. More holesthan three? I'd rather not.

jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-20-2015 at 06:46 AM

Sound hole geometry may have a significant influence on the acoustic properties of an oud (or any stringed instrument). An oud acts like a Helmholtz resonator producing a fundamental frequency - due to a slug of air oscillating or vibrating across the area of the sound hole - an 'air resonance frequency' that acoustically reinforces a limited range or bandwidth of frequencies of the oud - usually in the bass.

The calculation of the air resonance frequency of a true Helmholtz resonator is well understood and is basically dependant upon the trapped air volume of the resonator, the area (or diameter) of the vent (or sound hole), the equivalent length of the vent and the speed of sound in air. A Helmholtz resonator is a rigid sphere with a rigid vent at one end.
An oud - although behaving like a Helmholtz resonator - is, of course, by virtue of its geometry and construction not a true Helmhotz resonator - it is not a sphere or even perfectly rigid in construction due primarily to the flexible sound board and the sound hole is not centrally positioned or perfectly rigid. For this reason accurately calculating the air resonance frequency of an oud is not a straight forward matter and the physics is still not perfectly well understood. The physics of multiple sound hole arrangements is even less well under stood as not only does the number of sound holes and their diameters play a part but also their relative positions on a sound board and to each other.

If you have built your oud to the proven single sound hole design provided by Richard in his book - based upon successful instruments of the past - then your best bet would be to stick with this single sound hole arrangement rather than venturing into the fuzzy acoustical territory of multiple sound holes (although experimentation is not to be discouraged!). The addition of two small sound holes will have an influence on the air resonance frequency.

Removing the guitar like kerfing should result in greater sound board flexibility and a corresponding lowering of the air resonance frequency.

Good luck.
nati
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 4-28-2015 at 05:51 AM

this is it, just finished my first oud.
i took out the kerfing and made some changes in the braces and the sound is very nice now.
thanks everyone foe edvices
here is the link
https://youtu.be/Ax6jwaBitRo
intreducing by gilad hazan
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top