Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Inspired
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 1-12-2005 at 08:15 PM
Inspired

Hey I got inspired by revaldo he always posts no mather what. And eversince I started following the forums (aprox 8months ago) he gets better and better...
SO that must be the key!! thumbs up man

To start off... the outstanding flaw Iam trying to get undercontrol is my risha technique. I have a hard time playing string instruments. Mainly because I dont focus enough I think..

Iam a 20 years old university student from Ottawa. I started playing a year ago when my sister brought back a oud from lebanon(tourist oud)
Remember the "who are we" thread?
that was nice to see who is on Mike's forums. I should add myself there.

Anyways I also thought about another thing since its sooo hard to find teachers in our respective areas.. and that most people have broadband. And that were often (Always in my case) in front of our PC. There is potential for online video teaching !! what do you think?

Back to my post.. please give me some feadback.
thank you all
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 1-12-2005 at 08:19 PM

it was too big ..
but here it is
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 1-13-2005 at 05:25 AM
Feed back

:wavey: hello samir

I like your left hand location. If you play by ear then you are on the right track brother. Your right hand though seem to be in a hurry. You need to relax ...

How about you play that again but while singing the words along. if you run out of breath then you are too fast. ;)

Never give up

Kind Regards,
------------------
Emad
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 1-13-2005 at 07:03 AM

Hey Samir,

Thanx for the kind words bro. You are absolutely right, I have improved so much since the last 8 months or so. I listened to my first recording I posted here and it was embarassing. I really like the idea of posting videos. I think that we can get a lot more feedback if people were to see how we actually played. I will look into it and see if there is a way to post them on the internet for others to see. Great idea samir.
samir_montreal
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-21-2005 at 09:30 AM
looking for resources in Canada.

hi Samir,

My name is Samir and I just bought a new Oud from Algeria. I am a newby and looking for someone who can help me to start up in Canada (Montreal).
Also, I am looking for videos to learn Arabic Oud (scales etc...).

Thanks.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-21-2005 at 09:50 AM

Try the Videos page on this website

http://www.mikeouds.com/video/learn.html

oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 1-27-2005 at 03:56 PM

samir good job i really liked that song you played i am going to try to learn it how long did it take you
thx sammy
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 1-31-2005 at 05:27 PM
thanks

Thanks for the kind words my man.
Its not a very hard song to learn since to me the finger posicioning was natural for this one. plus you can only use two fingers if you want.
I'll post somethings else when I get the chance.. and I encourage you do the same
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 2-1-2005 at 08:36 PM
new post

Not too shure what maqam that one is in but I am just trying to keep up with Revaldo here ;) just kidding man. Please let me know what you think guys. I just changed risha to a thin plastic one thats more flexible. I actualy found it in a new dress shirt I bought it fell out the colar. In any other house hold it would have perished but It now enjoys its life has a risha. I noticed a lot of dress shirts come with these little plastic "colar straitener" Anyways.. let me know what u think. thanks
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 2-2-2005 at 09:19 PM

Hey Samir,

Great job man!! Was that all improvisation? It really had some strong moments. I too have actually tried to use those plastic collar things but they were always too thin for my taste. I played drums in marching band for my highschool for 3 years and they told us the best way to have more control over the stick is to start with heavier sticks. I think this also applies to risha technique. If you learn to play cleanly with a strong risha, you will be able to work magic with a thin one.
What ur using now sounds fine. It was just a little too weak on the base notes. You might want to consider using more thumb on the base notes. Also, the maqam of the month poll helped me a ton with my maqams. Hopefully, bahleh will come around soon and get us started ( I tried myself but failed miserably).
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 2-3-2005 at 08:48 AM
Ur right

Yah that was improv. thats what Iam trying to develop so. I guess practice makes perfect so Iam gona keep practicing. I usualy use a heavy risha but I found it sounded dull in the high register its made of some soft plastic witch dosent attack the strings sharpely. Your right I should stick to the one Iam more comfortable with and then move up. If you want U2U me your msn and we'll practice on line, talk oud and stuff.
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2005 at 05:27 PM

hi samir that was great i enjoyed it alot how long it take u to learn that and what maqum is it in. i am learning how to play doffer ones on my oud now so soon ot be really good.
thx sammy
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-17-2005 at 05:51 PM

hi what goin on peopel i am gettign alil beter and i thinki am ready for most of this song nassam el hawa1 can some one plez tell me what are the notes are like letters bc i cant read lotes yet.
thx for the help
sammy
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 11:05 AM
my refurbished oud

here is a small video of the oud I worked on has I promised I would put up. check the (who we are) post. the strings are sill streching so.. its not the best.. but it gives an Idea. I tried nahawand to rast modulation.... I dunno how it turned out:shrug: you guys let me know. Iam going to be taking course with a veteran teacher this sumer so I'll keep you posted.
habeebkum
Oud Maniac

Mood: arab!

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 11:29 AM

hi samir, well done on improving the oud. it sounds very nice. it has a good loud voice.i liked your playing:airguitar:however, if you dont mind me saying so, i think u would give yourself more opportunity to improve if you used ur pinky alot more. i am no pro tho but its something i force myself to do.am only trying to help. i like the songs and improvs u play. well done my friend:D keep it up

habeebkum

Go To Top