Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hagop M. Cimitian oud 1930
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 9-26-2015 at 08:21 AM
Hagop M. Cimitian oud 1930

Hello all, a lovely woman living in my area called me up and told me she has a speciall oud that belonged to her grandmother who was from Syria. She told me she wanted to bring it by my shop to have a look at.

Her grandmother passed away, and she inherited her precious oud. Her grandmother was a real musician and not a collector. She sang, played oud and violin.

Sadly, the oud was damaged after the grandmother's passing by movers, moving her belongings to a different location.

The oud is made by Armenian maker Hagop M. Cimitian, 1930, in Beirut. The address is Rue Pastur (wonder if anyone knows if that's in Borj Hammoud district)

It has a lovely bone rosette which was broken. The pegbox is also in pieces, but can be mended back together. The bowl has some huge cracks. The oud still had gut strings on, and there was a lovely feather rishi with the isntrument.

(Sorry, missing a photo of the front, but has the same pickguard and design as the oud posted on varouds.com http://www.varjouds.com/Armenian%20ouds%20A%20thru%20H.htm)

Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-26-2015 at 08:41 AM

That cross design on the bowl is interesting and unusual... as is the tartan bag! Looks like a very nice piece.
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 9-28-2015 at 03:27 PM

Unfortunately the owner is not yet ready to restore it. I wrapped all the parts of the pegbox and the bone rosette, and packed it safely in the case. She will likely come back to have the work done soon.

Go To Top