Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My New Website, Mike Ouds Companion
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 1-30-2016 at 12:07 AM
My New Website, Mike Ouds Companion

Hello fellow Oud lovers !

With Mike's kind blessing I'd like to introduce you to a Website I just created as a companion to this wonderful website.

I started it some time ago to rescue the old pictures and music/video clips that were going to be dropped when Mike had to trim down this site. I thought I would try to save them for all of us.

Anyway, it developed into a little bit more, as you will see if you go there.
Please give it a try and tell me what you think. It's really simple. Just click Help when you get there.

It is at:

http://MyOuds.com/Mike

Thanks
Spyros C.
journeyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-30-2016 at 05:00 AM

Good going Spyrosc! That took a lot of work I'm sure.

roypatterson.com
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2016 at 06:15 AM

This is great, Spyros! Everything works at this end. The "items" button is the key to it all. Thanks for this. I'm sure we've all wished to be able to see and hear all this, and now it's no longer lost.
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 1-30-2016 at 10:48 AM

Great work Spyros Bey. I will probably be purging some attachments again soon as I'm getting close to my limit. I will definitely give advanced notice for those who want to preserve their threads and attachments to repost after purging.

Mike

jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-30-2016 at 03:58 PM

Excellent!
I did restore some of the images (with reduced file size) in my earlier threads that I thought might be worth saving at the time of Mike's last purge (before October 2009?) - and it does take a lot of time and effort. However, even the images in those topics that I could not be bothered to save are preserved here. The images are clear but - as Jodi points out - the 'Items' button must be pressed to view them.

Keep up the good work!
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-31-2016 at 05:02 PM
Thanks and clarification

Thanks guys, I hope it gives you as much pleasure as it does to me.

Roy, yes, it did take...' a few hours'.

Incidentally although the 'Item' is the button to bring up the items most of the time it's not needed, for instance when clicking Next or Previous.

Also as I mentioned in the Help:

"•I find that for me the most convenient way is to bring up the Subjects window 'By Subject', and then go up and down that window looking for interesting topics. When I find one, I click on it causing it to become the current Thread (see the yellow box) and displaying its items, if any."

he Subjects window has revealed to me a lot of interesting topics I missed or forgot, and it's a lot of fun exploring them.

Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-1-2016 at 01:09 PM

I've added a link in the header called THREADWALKER.

Thanks again Spyros!

Great job my friend....

spyrosc
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-2-2016 at 11:22 PM
Thanks

Hey Mike,

I'd like to thank you publicly for the honor you are making me of creating this link from your MESSAGEBOARD to my Thread Walker site.

Hopefully it will give people a tool for exploring your great site in more depth and detail.

Thanks also for your kind words and the encouragement!

Spyros
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 12:15 AM
New Stuff

I made some changes to the Website

http://myouds.com/Mike

to make it more usable and hopefully more useful.

When you click on Subjects now you can select to see Subjects by Author, which lets you check all the Threads of specific people (like Dr Oud or Jameel) or even your own. Mind you these are not all the posts, just the threads started by that person.

Also now the lines are highlighted as you hover over them and are a little more tidy.

You can also use a Find command in certain browsers to look for keywords in the Subjects. Read all about it in the 'Help' under 'Some Fundamentals'.

Check it out and let me know. You can also reach it via the THREADWALKER link (located above these messages) that Mike so kindly provided.

Thanks
Spyros C.
Lysander
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 02:05 AM

Oh yes, I've only just noticed that this website is called "Mike Ouds" and not "Mike's Ouds". It's only been a few years....

Great idea through Spyros. This place is too much of a wealth of information to ever 'lose'. I'm sure it could be put in a time capsule then studied by future oudists/ethnomusicologists...
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-20-2016 at 12:39 AM
Newer Stuff

Hey guys,

I added an extra feature to my ThreadWalker Website, to display the profile and all posts of users.

When a Thread's items are displayed, in addition to the Subject you also get the Author. The Author's Id is actually a link that you can click on. If you do, you get the Messageboard's profile of that user. This is useful if you want to send an e-mail or U2U to that person or if you want to visit their website. You can also click the link "Search for all posts by this user" at the bottom and you will see all their past posts in reverse chronological order. Look in Help's Hopefully Helpful Hints how you can see the profile and posts of users who have never started a Thread, therefore will never show up as Authors.

If you have any suggestions let me know
Thanks
Spyros C.

Go To Top