Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My first Electric Oud
Eyad
Oud Admirer

thumbup.gif posted on 3-31-2016 at 07:07 PM
My first Electric Oud

Hello;
This is my first E-oud I make, hopefully you like it.

:wavey:

Click here to see it on Youtube, and also you can hear the sound

Your feedback is highly appreciated and will help me to improve my oud.

Thank you

[file]38627[/file] [file]38629[/file] [file]38631[/file] [file]38633[/file]
eldad
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 04:16 AM

Congratulations, very nice :applause:
The neck looks a little thick and you must replace the saddle to put another string .
Keep up the beautiful work.:airguitar:
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 4-5-2016 at 09:59 AM

The sharp edges of your body will make this oud uncomfortable to hold and play. Go to a guitar store and study the shape of the edges of electric guitars. You'll find that most are asymmetrical.

The laminated body/w cutouts is detrimental to resonance of the body. Electric instruments need a resonant solid body to enhance volume, sustain and tonal affect. This is one difference between $100 and $1,000 guitars. Forget how much it weighs, often a heavy body sounds best. Electric bodies are made with ash, mahogany or maple, just be sure the body sounds a tone when you tap it. If it sounds like a thud, it is no good. Most of the open cutout/laminated body electric ouds have poor tone because of ignorance of this fact. Unfortunately this style of laminated open body seems to have established itself as the standard. It is just wrong. Do you see any electric guilars made this way? I think not one.

I see you are using a pre-amp, good. I assume you are also using a saddle transducer, very good. Yes the neck is way too thick.
The position of the tuning pegs will be awkward to tune while holding the oud, move them to the back.
Your workmanship looks good, but you need to apply some basic electric instrument principles for tone, volume, sustain and play-ability.

Eyad
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-5-2016 at 04:47 PM

I thank you very much for the feedback. Yes the neck is thick.

Quote: Originally posted by eldad  
Congratulations, very nice :applause:
The neck looks a little thick and you must replace the saddle to put another string .
Keep up the beautiful work.:airguitar:
Eyad
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-5-2016 at 04:54 PM

Your feedback is very informative and helpful for me.
I did a lot of mistakes with this oud, I realized some of the mistakes but I was ignoring them because I want to hear a music coming from my first oud.

About the shape, do you mean to have a different look than the original Oud. , like to give it a triangle shape or circular or star shape? is this what you mean?

Thank you very much again for the informative feedback.

Quote: Originally posted by Dr. Oud  
The sharp edges of your body will make this oud uncomfortable to hold and play. Go to a guitar store and study the shape of the edges of electric guitars. You'll find that most are asymmetrical.

The laminated body/w cutouts is detrimental to resonance of the body. Electric instruments need a resonant solid body to enhance volume, sustain and tonal affect. This is one difference between $100 and $1,000 guitars. Forget how much it weighs, often a heavy body sounds best. Electric bodies are made with ash, mahogany or maple, just be sure the body sounds a tone when you tap it. If it sounds like a thud, it is no good. Most of the open cutout/laminated body electric ouds have poor tone because of ignorance of this fact. Unfortunately this style of laminated open body seems to have established itself as the standard. It is just wrong. Do you see any electric guilars made this way? I think not one.

I see you are using a pre-amp, good. I assume you are also using a saddle transducer, very good. Yes the neck is way too thick.
The position of the tuning pegs will be awkward to tune while holding the oud, move them to the back.
Your workmanship looks good, but you need to apply some basic electric instrument principles for tone, volume, sustain and play-ability.
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-9-2016 at 11:35 AM

I referred to the sharp edges around the perimeter that would be uncomfortable while playing. The shape is not important, but the laminated body with cutouts will not resonate like a solid body of appropriate tone wood. The body of an electric instrument does contribute to the sound, especially in volume and sustain. A laminated body with cutouts will inhibit the body from resonating with the vibrations of the strings, and not have as loud or long of a sound as a solid body of tone wood. Have you ever seen an electric guitar with the body cut out?

christ0s
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-16-2016 at 04:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Dr. Oud  
the laminated body with cutouts will not resonate like a solid body of appropriate tone wood. The body of an electric instrument does contribute to the sound, especially in volume and sustain. A laminated body with cutouts will inhibit the body from resonating with the vibrations of the strings, and not have as loud or long of a sound as a solid body of tone wood. Have you ever seen an electric guitar with the body cut out?

what do you mean with 'cutouts' . the wood of the bady looks like it came from one solid part of wood
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-19-2016 at 09:47 AM

The first picture taken from the tail end shows a seam, so the body was glued together from two pieces. The cutouts refers to the open areas inside the body. Both of these features will inhibit the resonance of the body and diminish the volume and sustain of the electric signal from the transducer.

Go To Top