Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: oud players / makers in Vancouver?
Guldeste
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 11:50 PM
oud players / makers in Vancouver?

Greetings all

If anyone knows of oud enthusiasts in Vancouver, please let me know as I'll be passing through soon and as ever researching for http://www.oudmigrations.com

Thank you!

jack
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-27-2016 at 06:54 PM

Players who live here: Gord Grdina (he has an older Oud that was found in a falafel shop), Navid Goldrick (oudforguitarists.com), Hossein Behroozinia (the barbat maestro). I have two Ghadban ouds, one of which was Nazih's personal Oud, and a Sandi Oud that was lost in their warehouse for 14 years. Not ancient ouds, but wonderful nonetheless. I'm an amateur player, but you're welcome to come and see my ouds if you desire.
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 10-28-2016 at 10:38 AM

Gord Grdina's Oud is an antique, I'm not sure who the maker is, but it's an Ottoman era Oud from the Levant. I'm sure it has an interesting story. It has been smashed and was repaired extensively by local luthier Nicole Alosinac. If you're interested in tracing it's roots, I can possibly get you in touch with the Lebanese family who he bought it from.

There is also Serwan Yamolky in Coquitlam (near Vancouver) a Kurdish-Iraqi Oud player who may or may not have any antique Ouds. I'm not sure.

Hossein Behroozinia has a music school in North Vancouver called Nava Arts Centre which is easy enough to stop by at.

There is also a Syrian refugee Farooq Al-Sajee who plays Oud.

Would love to discuss Ouds and your website if you're interested when you're in town. Let me know if I can be of any assistance in this regard while you're here. My email is support@oudforguitarists.com.

Go To Top