Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I need a floating bridge!
alaaraj
Oud Junkie

Mood: Tuning!

exclamation.gif posted on 12-26-2016 at 02:08 PM
I need a floating bridge!

Dear all

Can anybody help me with this please? I need a floating bridge for my Sabsaby oud. The original bridge is made of dark oak, but now after several months of use, some strings indented into the bridge and became uneven. I also began to notice some unpleasant fine buzz in a couple of the single silver strings and I can only assume that it is because of the bridge.

I prefer those bridges with bone-top, I think they shall last longer!

Or any tip or advice I will be grateful.

Thanks you :)

Onwards and upwards

HazRaj
Omar Al-Mufti
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-3-2017 at 01:26 AM

Haz,
I ordered few bridges with bone edge. I can send you one once I get them.
I made them all with generic height, around 14 mm. I believe what you need is around 13 mm, that's what Hussain makes.
Tell me exactly how high is your old bridge (use a micrometre if you have) and I will adjust one for you.
Regarding the slots for the strings, you have to make them yourself, it needs just a knife-edged- file, or give it to a luthier where you live.
Buzzing can have different reasons. After the 1st year of oud's life, the biggest change of dimensions happen, until the glue settles and totally dries (shrinks), also until the wood dries. So it might be the case that a little unevenness took place on your fingerboard.
The other case is that when the two identical strings are not identical anymore. This happens usually in floating bridge ouds when for some reason you slide the bridge back and forth frequently, or the strings slide up and down popping out of the slot, which cause tiny tears in the strings.
How high is the action?
alaaraj
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-5-2017 at 04:12 AM

Dear Omar

Thank you so much and I am sorry about my late response ..

Husain's bridge measures 13mm indeed. I told him about the fine buzzing sound that I began to notice, he suggested that I change the strings, which I did .. I fitted new Pyramid orange label set but now I began to hear more buzz in an additional string!!

He asked me to lift the bridge slightly using something like an ice cream stick [I used the stick we use to stir coffee with]; It measures just above 1 mm, but I am not sure of that has really helped. The bridge looked really high [just under 15mm] and I still definitely hear the buzz!!

I told him about the uneven height of the strings over the bridge where some have indented further into the wood and he suggested that I change the bridge, which is why I am asking for help. Posting a bridge from Syria at this time is way unreasonable, so I am not going to ask ..

I am not sure how to assess the unevenness of the fingerboard .. The action is just over 2 mm at the neck base [with the 13mm bridge], is it supposed to be higher?

If you can spare me a bridge I would be very very grateful Omar :bowdown: or if you feel that there is something else I should do please let me know.

Omar you are a legend :buttrock:

Onwards and upwards

HazRaj
Omar Al-Mufti
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-5-2017 at 04:55 AM

I could send you a bridge of course.
So, how high is the one you need? 14? 15?
I have now some with no bone at the upper edge.
Look, as long as the buzzing happened progressively, I think it is not the bridge. The fingerboard is usually checked against a very special type of ruler, it is called Haarlenial in German, which is a straightedge knife or ruler.
https://www.google.at/search?q=haarlineal&biw=1920&bih=1070&...
You have to give it to someone who could asses the fingerboard. A guitar maker or a violin maker would be able to check it, and even repair it.
the slightly higher than 2 mm action should be OK if the fingerboard is OK. My Hafeth Sulayman ouds are actually below 2mm, with zero buzzing
alaaraj
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-5-2017 at 07:54 AM

I assessed the fingerboard by my bare eyes and by an office ruler and it looked ok; but I'm sure that's not quite sufficient!

I would change the bridge first and see .. I will also change the buzzing strings [I see your point that they could have been be damaged when moving the bridge and I did indeed move the bridge a few times to adjust the scale] .. After that if the problem persists I will then have to get it checked by a guitarist or in fact by Michael Moussa, he's not far from where I live ..

I hope my beast gets back in shape as soon as possible :(

Omar I will inbox you :rolleyes:

Onwards and upwards

HazRaj

Go To Top