Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: affordable ouds
emptyvessle
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 07:00 PM
affordable ouds

hello, this question has probably been asked a million times, so im sorry in advance. Im 16 and have been wanting to learn to play the oud for almost a year now. Though i have a very limited budget, would it be a bad idea to buy a learner's mass produced oud and use that while im just beggining? I will most likely be teachign myself, and im worried that if i get a really expensvie oud i wont be able to properly play it for quite some time. Im open to any advice, thank you.
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 09:53 PM
Affordable

My dear friend,

Congratulations on your desire to learn how to play. Opinions are split on this subject. Some people say save your money and buy a good one, and that's obviously good advice, except how long can you wait while saving when you're 16 and want to start ?

I'd say there are many good inexpensive ouds. Especially abroad. If you have a friend travelling to Turkey or Middle East they can get you decent beginner ouds for $ 50 - 100.

If you don't, I still think you can get a decent beginner from Haluk, or nileshop or somebody like that.

First of all what is your budget, where are you located, and do you know whether you want a Turkish or Arabic oud, or no preference.

Good luck
Spyros C.
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 09:55 PM

I fogot to mention to you that IMO you better save your money for a teacher, especially in the beginning. You need somebody to show you the basics before you pick up any bad habits. I believe better spend the money on education than on materials.

Spyros C.
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 11:45 PM

I'm with Spyros on this one. I think a teacher is extremely important...especially early on. Get in touch with Yehia, and ask him about Mourad el-Turki ouds. These are quite affordable, and I believe they are some of the ones he features on his ebay store.

Good luck,
Mike

emptyvessle
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-19-2005 at 07:33 AM

thank you so much. Im hoping not to spend more than $300. I live in annapolis maryland, and a senior at my highschool plays and has offered to teach me while hes still here but he'll be going to college so if any of you know any teahcers here that would be great.

Go To Top