Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: High-G Turkish tuning?
Maan
Oud Lover

info.gif posted on 3-5-2017 at 02:38 AM
High-G Turkish tuning?

There is a lot of information to be found on the Arabic High-F variant. But so far I have found nothing on it's Turkish brother, a possible high-G tuning for my 58.5cm scale length Turkish oud.

Tips? Experience? Warnings? Players who have used this tuning? I would be very interested to hear.

Manuel
Maan
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-5-2017 at 03:06 AM

I found this very detailed info by fernandraynaud in a topic about strings. But I don't know what is ment by ''slide the set up'':

So what about that "modern high tuning?" For an ff course on an 'Arabic' oud, a 0.020" plain nylon is generally added to the generic string set for the highest course. If the oud has 6 courses, the bottom C string envelope is set aside. If it has 7 courses, all 7 courses is used. The tensions on such an ff course are 3.37 for a short scale and 3.73 Kg for a long scale. Tuning this ff course up to Turkish gg will not endanger anything in either case. But what you cannot do is "slide the set up" to where a 0.022" becomes ff, a 0.028" gets to be cc, a wound 0.025"W becomes gg, which is just about when you might notice the bridge and nut making Krunky sounds. If you experiment with strings, get a little caliper or micrometer, it's cheaper than a new oud and years of grief-counseling.
Maan
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-18-2017 at 03:34 PM

anyone tried it?

Go To Top