Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tuning my oud!!!!!&?????
chaldo
Oud Junkie

Mood: archaic mood

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 05:59 PM
Tuning my oud!!!!!&?????

Hi all.

I am trying to tune my oud with this software:
it's called AP Tuner for Windows Version 3.06

What I don't understand is the following:
I know I have to tune my oud this way (syrian oud):
d g a d g c so how can I know the software is using the same letters I shoud use??

I mean d g a d g c are the notes... but if I sing those notes the software does not associate the the notes to the letters correctly, it represents the note by another letter.

I am all confused.. hheehe

I am real new to the oud learning process.. please help

Thanks

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 07:11 PM

Hi,

Cool software. Let me ask you, how do you know you are singing the right note? If your oud is really out of tune, you might just be singing another note rather than what it is supposed to be.

Be careful though, the software might be screwy. Don't tune too high. If you go to Maurice Shehata's website, I think he has the notes of the oud strings that play when you hover over some of his main links.

Maurice Ouds

Compare those notes to your oud, and that way you can decide whether your oud is just really out of tune, or if the tuning software has had a little too much to drink. ;)

Also, there are inexpensive tuners available that play a note or all the notes. They're nice to have especially when you're working on tuning by ear.

Take care,

mavro

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
chaldo
Oud Junkie

Mood: archaic mood

[*] posted on 2-26-2005 at 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mavrothis
Hi,

Cool software. Let me ask you, how do you know you are singing the right note? If your oud is really out of tune, you might just be singing another note rather than what it is supposed to be.

Be careful though, the software might be screwy. Don't tune too high. If you go to Maurice Shehata's website, I think he has the notes of the oud strings that play when you hover over some of his main links.

Maurice Ouds

Compare those notes to your oud, and that way you can decide whether your oud is just really out of tune, or if the tuning software has had a little too much to drink. ;)

Also, there are inexpensive tuners available that play a note or all the notes. They're nice to have especially when you're working on tuning by ear.

Take care,

mavro

OK I got it.. thanks alot... Just got one, I was out of tune.. it's all fixed now...

Go To Top