Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to safely switch from Arabic to Turkish tuning
AKCinBE
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 11-23-2017 at 07:38 AM
How to safely switch from Arabic to Turkish tuning

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a beautiful 58.5cm oud from Rapakousios in Athens that was strung with a custom Pyramid set for Arabic tuning. However, I've decided to switch to Turkish tuning for a number of reasons. This is my first time restringing an oud, so I would like to ask for your advice:

Question 1: Is there a safe way to restring an oud?

On other instruments I play, releasing all the tension on the soundboard can be bad for the instrument, so players recommend changing one string at a time. Is there anything like this that I should be aware of?

Question 2: Dimitris told me "Your oud came with a custom Pyramid set: 0,54pvf 0,68pvf 1012 1018 1024 1035 for Arabic tuning. Do sol re la so Do or RE HIGH TO LOW ( c g d a g C or D ). If you want to tune Turkish, you have to change gauges 0,50pvf 0,63 pvf 1009 1015 1025 1238( d a e b f# c # or B), all forths. Or 1020 1033 for la MI BASS Pyramid custom lute strings from Pyramidsaiten. I dont recommend other brands."

I was planning on using Aquila red nylgut. Do you think Dimitris doesn't recommend other brands because he prefers Pyramid, or because the tensions are different in other brands and could cause damage to the instrument?

Thanks for your help!

al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-23-2017 at 10:45 AM

Rapakousios is recommending to you custom string sets of the highest quality that are balanced and optimal for your oud. You have here the advice of a top luthier who knows whereof he speaks. I think you would be hard pressed to find better strings, and since you have a quality instrument why not get the best possible sound out of it. Unless you find the cost of the Pyramid strings prohibitive or are looking for a different kind of sound, following Rapakousios's recommendations seems like a no-brainer.

If you are concerned about removing all the strings before putting on new ones (which I don't believe would pose a risk to the instrument) replace one course at a time, starting with the bottom of the fingerboard (that is, with the highest pair of strings) and moving upward.
AKCinBE
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 11-24-2017 at 01:59 AM

Hi al-Halabi,

Thanks for your feedback. Believe me, I'm not doubting Rapakousios's expertise... my experience with him has been great and he is extremely knowledgeable. Given the specificity in his description, I can see that he has a focused sound quality that he is trying to achieve.

That being said, my instrument has a very, very bright sound and I thought nylgut would help warm the sound up. Since I'm changing to Turkish, I thought that this would be an good opportunity to experiment a little. I can always go back to his recommendations on the next set. So, I'm not questioning Dimitris, I'm just trying to figure out how to personalize my own instrument to my own taste in a safe way without doing damage to the instrument. That's all.
al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-24-2017 at 08:36 AM

I was not aware that you had reservations about the overly bright sound you are getting with the Pyramid strings. It makes sense for you to try out other types of string. But since your oud is relatively new, it's worth considering that it will open up with playing and may very well develop a more rounded and fuller sound that is to your liking. Also, the plectrum can make a great difference in the kind of sound you get from the instrument. It's definitely worth trying out plectrums of different materials, levels of stiffness, sharpness of the edge in touch with the strings, etc. In my experience a softer, more malleable plectrum can cut down the brightness and add warmth to the tone with the very same strings.

Good luck and enjoy your oud.

Go To Top