Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud edge protector
Keith
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-8-2018 at 03:56 AM
Oud edge protector

I've seen ouds with either wooden or leather attachments on the the soundboard/bowl edge so as to protect the joint from a player's right arm. I have a luthier prepared to do this for my Michael Moussa/Mourad el Turkey oud and he's asked if there are any kits available. I see on the web that quite a lot of Iraqi and Turkish ouds seem to have this as standard but not knowing the name of it not sure what to Google. Thanks in advance.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 1-8-2018 at 07:49 AM

I have seen the leather mostly on older vintage ouds. I wouldn't think its something you can obtain as a kit, you just have to find suitable material and cut it to your requirements. He could also use a wood veneer akin to what is used for pickguards. Cut in the desired shape, glue onto the soundboard edge and trim it flush around the body.

as a follow up question, are Michael Moussa's ouds made by Mourad el Turkey in egypt?

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Keith
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 06:44 AM

Sorry for tardy reply! The oud I have is made by Mourad el Turkey, yes. Michael Moussa tells me it's made from Burmese teak. It has a very deep and warm bass response. I bought it in 1999 from my then teacher, Adel Salameh (RIP).

Re edge protector, I had one made by my local luthiers from rosewood, stained to match the fingerboard. It looks very good and has two uses: 1 it stops the edge cutting into my arm 2 it stops my arm from rubbing off bits of the mother of pearl edge trim.

Go To Top