Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Who makes the loudest ouds?
Chris_Khouri
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-4-2005 at 06:52 AM
Who makes the loudest ouds?

Hi guys,

Just wondering. I wanted to know who makes the loudest ouds out there. I heard it may be the iraqi lutheirs. How are the Mo ouds? ARe they loud enough?

Chris
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 3-4-2005 at 04:45 PM

Hi,

Each oud is different, you can't really generalize and say every oud one maker constructs will be just like another he makes.

That being said, I think in general Iraqi ouds with the floating bridge tend to be louder, in general. But, I've heard some very loud traditional ouds from different makers of both Arabic and Turkish styles.

So really you don't have to pick a certain style of oud, or general tonal character (Iraqi vs. Egyptian vs. Syrian/Lebanese vs. Turkish...) just b/c of volume concerns. Any kind of oud can be very loud if it's built to be a projecting instrument.

Also, the loudest ouds aren't always the sweetest sounding ouds...it's complicated, but that's part of the beauty of the oud I think. :)

Take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Chris_Khouri
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-4-2005 at 05:12 PM

Thanks mav for your answer.

We use the oud alot in parties in the house, and using an amplifier kinda takes away from the sound of the oud. It's hard to make such a party without playing and singing loudly.

I saw some ouds with my friends here, believe it or not, they were commercial Syrian ouds, that sound so loud. You will be amazed. They are commercial ouds and some claim to be Fadel ouds, but its clear that they are not.

Anyway, just curious.

Chris
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 3-4-2005 at 05:18 PM

Mav,

Well done! A very good answer to a very difficult question.
I am inclined to agree that the floating bridge models are louder.

My Bashir style Nazih Ghadban oud is exceptionally loud (and sweet sounding). I have played it in a group with two drummers, violins, clarinet and other ouds. Mine is the only one that cuts though without amplification.

But I have not had the opportunity to make direct comparisons with a large number of other high quality instruments. Only with "run-of-the-mill" Egyptian and Turkish ouds.

Regards,

Greg
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-5-2005 at 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris_Khouri
Hi guys,

Just wondering. I wanted to know who makes the loudest ouds out there. I heard it may be the iraqi lutheirs. How are the Mo ouds? ARe they loud enough?
Chris

I play on the new Bashir model by Fawzy Monshed and this oud is louder than any other oud that I've ever played. Yaroub, Mohammed and Foad have not a chance.

Best wishes

Ronny
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Learning

[*] posted on 3-5-2005 at 08:18 PM

Hi Chris
I agree with our dear friend Mav. However, I noticed that using a horn pleck will make a great deal of difference. It does get the most output from the oud. I suggest that you try it and let us know.
I can not tell where you can get a horn pleck. I got mine during a visit to Egypt.
Best Regards,
Hatem
Chris_Khouri
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-5-2005 at 10:20 PM
Interesting :)

Hi Hatem,

This is really interesting. I :buttrock:Knew that picks make some differences, but I have never tried the one you mentioned. I dont know if you guys have any experiences with weak sounding ouds, but a loud oud is definitely like a breath of Fresh air, especially for Khaliji oud parties (These are awesome by the way).

Chris :applause:
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-7-2005 at 02:06 AM

>, I noticed that using a horn pleck will make a great deal of >difference. It does get the most output from the oud. I >suggest that you

Not necessary, if you make horn risha of massive horns then you certainly have a rough hard risha but the traditional horn risha was made of large cows/buffel horn and the texture is very different massive horns from goat ect.
I don't hear any differencies in loudness if I compare eagle quill and horn risha, is the grip/pressure that controls the volume and certainly you have better controll with a softer risha.

Best wishes

Ronny
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 3-7-2005 at 09:11 AM

Ronny is right... I started off playing with very stiff risha because I had always used a very hard pick with the guitar. I even used a very stiff piece of bamboo! gradually I began using softer and more flexible risha. I also was using very wide 1/2 inch macho risha because I was looking for volume -- now I'm using very thin 1/8 -1/4 inch flexible risha and I can tell you that I getting better volume now than when I started with very stiff, hard risha.

In some way the soft risha are more difficult to use properly but in other ways they are easier. You can use almost anything if you develop the right technique. Some udi use very stiff risha and manage to get very delicate sounds as well as gritty, high-volume. Others master the delicate eagle risha and generate incredible biting volume as well as subtle rippling glissandos that almost whisper.

I would say that flexible risha have a better opportunity for subtle tonal nuances and a little harder to dig into with very high volume but if you get the right angle of attack and follow through you get get a lot of volume out of it! Real eagle risha have a kind of crisp sound that is hard (impossible?) to get out of horn and that crispness can overcome/out-project the heavy thud of a stiff horn risha.

In the end though, technique is much more important than the material of the risha - something that going to take me a lifetime to master!

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com

Go To Top