Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Godin Multioud Encore or Sandi Acoustic Electric
KellyRain
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-9-2018 at 09:14 PM
Godin Multioud Encore or Sandi Acoustic Electric

Hello Everyone,

I need your advice, this site has always been the best source of information and helped me decide on our Mohammadi Barbat a few years ago. So I hope you can help with this new search.

I am looking for an electric or electro acoustic oud. (I'lll explain why below.). I am looking at the Sandi Cutaway Electro Acoustic which has a flat back and is relatively thin, the Godin Multioud Encore and a Saz fully electric oud from Thoman's.

I am wondering if anyone here can offer some advice on which of these is a good and reliable instrument. I know they are never going to sound like a proper oud, but for the reason below I am forced to compromise sound for ability to play the instrument this year. Thanks in advance for your help.

The reason I am looking for an electic/electro acoustic instruments is that I have what the doctors in Tokyo call 50's Shoulder (Frozen Shoulder). For over half a year I have had insane shoulder pain in my right arm and very limited mobility. This has made playing my Rubab and Barbat impossible since reaching over the body is painful beyond description.

I have a flat back Irish Bouzouki that I can still play and not be in total misery doing so. My doctor has finally said the arm is entering the lock down phase where it hurts less but still has limited mobility. He thinks playing, not too much, will help restore movement and won't cause more damage. So I am eager to resume music if I can find a nice instrument.

My barbat and rubab have been key melody instruments in our music project so we have not been able to perform since September last year when this started. But we have some key events coming up this year that are critical so looking for a solution that I can play.

Any advice you have will be warmly welcomed. Thank you!!

If you have a suitable used instrument for sale, I am also open to new suggestions.

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 07:21 AM

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your shoulder pain - I hope it passes.

My guess, having played these types (though not necessarily the same brands), the Sandi will sound most like a real oud acoustic or plugged in.

Take care,

m

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
KellyRain
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 09:07 AM

Thank you for your reply.

I am hoping one will allow me to play again.

If anyone has a Godin or an ElectroA-coustic by another maker for sale, please let me know. Would like to consider giving one a home in Tokyo.
mich
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 12:34 PM

I've been keeping my eye on this one lately, but I think it's beyond my price range these days:
https://hmtrad.com/products/najarian-e-1000-electric-oud-w-hard-case...
aminateur
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 02:08 PM

I saw Luthier forum member Sabbassi building a very nice electro acoustic oud
KellyRain
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 05:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mich  
I've been keeping my eye on this one lately, but I think it's beyond my price range these days:
https://hmtrad.com/products/najarian-e-1000-electric-oud-w-hard-case...

Yes his instruments are very nice. But also out of my price range. But his work looks wonderful.

My top price range would be around the retail for the Multioud Encore or the Sandi so far.

Thomans has some nice looking full electric ouds from a maker called Saz, but I had not heard of them before seeing their site.
mich
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 05:52 PM

I've seen those Saz ouds (online) too and, as I recall, someone was asking for reviews about them a week or two ago. I don't think there were any responses.
Has anyone out there tried one of these? How do they sound? How do they feel??

Go To Top