Printable Version  
Author: Subject: buzuq : history and way of making
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-28-2018 at 08:49 AM
buzuq : history and way of making

Hello

Can some give feedback about the buzuq in middle eastern music. When did it begun to be commonly used,from where it comes...etc

I was curious to know I there is a big similarity with greek buzuki. Actually I never had in hand a Greek one in hand. But i have a syrian buzuq and a friend being much interested I was thinking to modify a greek one for him (much more easy to get in hand in France than original Arabic ones ).

So would be curious to read about the steory of this instruments in Mediterranean area

Best regards

Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-28-2018 at 09:39 AM

I can tell you that the Greek bouzouki of the 19th and very early 20th century was closer to one form of Arab buzuq than the modern bouzouki is now. Compared to the modern Greek bouzouki it had a smaller bowl, was lighter in weight, and had tied on frets. It used lighter strings than nowadays and usually had 3 double courses or even 2.

The modern Greek bouzouki is, in my opinion, designed for a different sound and aesthetic than that of the kinds of Arabic music that use buzuq. It is built heavy. Still, it might find a place in Arabic music but the frets are in the right places for modern Greek music and the wrong places for Arabic music. What would you do about the all the slots where the frets used to be after you pull them out? A new fingerboard? The cost of the bouzouki and the conversion would exceed the cost of a new buzuq. Why not simply buy a new Arabic buzuq? Nazih Ghadban makes some great ones. Check his website.. Other makers are less expensive and also make good instruments.
The cost of a professional quality 4 course Greek bouzouki often exceeds 3000 Euros which is much more expensive than a new buzuq. Good quality 3 course new Greek Bouzoukis can be had for under 1000 Euros but there is still the cost of the conversion. There are an estimated 100,000 to 250,000 Lebanese people in France. Perhaps you can find a nice old buzuq for sale if you look in that direction.

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-28-2018 at 12:40 PM

Thanks for this interesting feedback Jody.
that cross what I thought to understood while watching youtube videos and particulary pre-war greek bouzouk.
then the question for conversion is just a wonder in what are our options for an easiest way to get an acceptable buzuq. I mean playable with a convincing sound for a friend who which to try and in a matter of budget.
For sure favorite option is to get one from there, budget one or upgrade like Nazih Ghadban can indeed produce, but not so easy for a number of reasons. But thats how indeed I come to get mine thanks to a good friend.
A second hand instrument for sale in france is very rare to see..
so that's why I get to wondering what if conversion of a similar instrument . there are always affordable second hand greek buzuki to sale in France that's why I thought about it. I'm not luthier but can assume a few maintenance, so cost of conversion is not a deal. I can assume simple works, taking off frets, tieing guts or nylon ones,filling notch to have an acceptable fretboard. But i wouldnt feel comfortable at working a new fingerboard.
Then I was wondering about the soundboard if it would need just taking off the thick decoration and varnish or..challenging myself and change the board. Actually I studied my buzuq, the structure of the board on this budget instrument is very simple but don't had yet the occasion to compare to a Greek modern one like we cross usually (though I notice the wide opening on those)

francis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-30-2018 at 07:52 AM

Bonjour Marouan,

I both have an arabic and a greek bouzouki. They are not built in the same way.
Greek bouzouki's table is thicker than arabic bouzouk table, and with an angle on the back of the bridge.
Arabic bouzouk table seems relatively closed to oud table, like a smaller one.
Modern greek bouzoukis seem to be adapted for stronger tension.
last year I worked on my greek bouzouki to convert it as a bulgari...I never obtain a satisfying sound and impossible to get the sustain like on an arabic bouzouk.
To my opinion, from a greek bouzouki you have to make another table, and of course changing the fixed frets to gut or nylon frets....
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 06:07 AM

Hi Marouan,

if you want a nice buzuq for a decent price and quality you should contact Khaled Halabi. He is a Syrian oud and buzuq maker who sought refuge and opened his shop again in Canada.

he posted pictures recently of his completed buzuq's and they are really nice in my opinion.

you can contact him on Whatsapp +1 (614) 325-3744

you can find him on facebook: Khaled Halabi (Awaad Tarab)

I bought a Trichordo (3 string) bouzouki during my trip to Greece, it was a fun instrument to learn but I found it hard to adjust to using a guitar style pick and picking technique. The tension of the strings is very high compared to saz and Arabic buzuq.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 06:17 AM

Thanks Francis and Samir for those interesting feedback.
indeed Khaled Halabi seems to make also very nice work and accessible prices. To recommend. Personnaly im not looking for a new, i have one. But judmdt i love this instrumente and this was just to know more about the Greek ones. In a matter of price/time not a good deal to modify one having understood your feedbacks about guys. But maybe a fun challenge to do (or at least try :)) ) if a budget Greek second hand hand comes through my area.
Best

Go To Top