Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Advice for a Music Noob Looking to Learn Oud
MoH
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 7-23-2018 at 06:43 AM
Advice for a Music Noob Looking to Learn Oud

Hi everyone,

I'm going to try my best not to sound too ignorant or naïve. I have no prior experience with any instruments, but perhaps due to some romantic ideal, I have been wanting to play the oud for several years now. I have a few questions, with #3 probably being the most important.

1. I am on a bit of a budget, so even the apprentice ouds at Maurice Oud Shop are too much for me. Does anyone know anything about the Arabic ouds from Sala Muzik or Mid-East? I considered the Darbuka Planet Turkish Ouds, but I was really hoping I could get an Arabic one. I don't think I will be traveling back to the Middle East soon, so buying online is probably my only option.

2. After consulting a few forum posts, I don't think I will be able to find an in-person teacher in my area. Are Skype teachers or even video lessons really good enough for learning oud?

3. Considering my total lack of experience, budget, and the likelihood that I will not have a teacher, should I just not even try?

Again, sorry if I come off as some idiot that doesn't know anything. This will be a big decision for me, and I didn't know where else to turn.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-23-2018 at 07:35 AM

Good questions, and well asked!
1) save up your money until you have enough to buy a decent oud. Trying to learn to play on a bad instrument is a discouraging experience. Also: If and when it comes time to upgrade you can sell your decent oud for a good percentage of the price you paid. If your first oud is junk it has no resale value.

2) Skype lessons work fine. A Skype lesson is as good as the teacher. A poor teacher will give a poor Skype lesson. A good one will teach you well via Skype.

Video lessons are pre-packaged and do not respond to the student or interact, but the "right" video lesson *might* be right for you.

3) I don't agree that finding a teacher is unlikely. Where are you located?
MoH
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 7-23-2018 at 09:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jody Stecher  
Good questions, and well asked!
1) save up your money until you have enough to buy a decent oud. Trying to learn to play on a bad instrument is a discouraging experience. Also: If and when it comes time to upgrade you can sell your decent oud for a good percentage of the price you paid. If your first oud is junk it has no resale value.

2) Skype lessons work fine. A Skype lesson is as good as the teacher. A poor teacher will give a poor Skype lesson. A good one will teach you well via Skype.

Video lessons are pre-packaged and do not respond to the student or interact, but the "right" video lesson *might* be right for you.

3) I don't agree that finding a teacher is unlikely. Where are you located?

Thanks, Jody. Do you have any other recommendations for a beginner oud? Also, I am located in KY, and I guess there is a sizable Middle Eastern population in my area, so maybe it won't be impossible to find a teacher. I appreciate your reply.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-23-2018 at 11:09 AM

If there is a sizable Middle Eastern population there is also a middle eastern grocery store and possibly several other grocery stores selling NPMEF ("not particularly middle eastern food) whose proprietors are Arab. Ask there! For instance my corner grocer/convenience store (selling ordinary american food) a block from my home here in San Francisco is run by a young ney (flute) player from Syria. His uncle plays oud. I found out by asking. Maybe there's an oud playing (and teaching) grocer in Kentucky whose uncle plays ney.

Go To Top