Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: what Can I do for my fingerboard
hakimoud
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-28-2018 at 02:39 AM
what Can I do for my fingerboard

Hi everybody:cool:,
I have a Nazih Ghadban' s oud, I love it, but I have a buzzing :(the problem is at the same point indicated by Master Jon Vergara in this video about the Buzzing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPRvng77Hjk.
I've researched the problem, the oud was made in 2006 by Mr Ghadban so I don't think that's a problem of structure.
After having examined the fingerboard, I found 2 littles depressions :mad: on it a the same buzzing point who have the same shape as the diameter of the strings I fix it with a piece of transparent tape on the depression.
The problem is that I would like to fix it definitely because it's not very aesthetic and I wouldn't damage the fingerboard. The solution would be to sand the fingerboard ( Expensive ? risk ? ) ?
I use actually a Pyramids Orange set with the 3rd Strings in silver.
Is the Nylon better for the fingerboard and the buzzing ?
I have to change my strings because they are rust, which set do you advise me for a 3rd in nylon and what type of chemical produit for clean the fingerboard ? ( I'm very satisfied of Pyramids ... but If Nylon is better I can change ).
thank you for your answers and I apologize for my approximate english:D
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 9-1-2018 at 03:16 PM

You can fill the depressions with JB Weld epoxy, a glass filled epoxy that cures very hard. You'll need to scrape it flat with a single edge razor blade after it sets (4-6 hours), but before it cures all the way{8 hours}. If it does cure you'll need silicon carbide sandpaper to sand it flat. Use a flat sanding block as long or longer than the entire fingerboard to avoid making a cup which will buzz as well. A wood fingerboard can be sealed and hardened with tung oil. apply liberally, let dry an hour then wipe off the excess.

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 9-3-2018 at 09:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Dr. Oud  
You can fill the depressions with JB Weld epoxy, a glass filled epoxy that cures very hard. You'll need to scrape it flat with a single edge razor blade after it sets (4-6 hours), but before it cures all the way{8 hours}. If it does cure you'll need silicon carbide sandpaper to sand it flat. Use a flat sanding block as long or longer than the entire fingerboard to avoid making a cup which will buzz as well. A wood fingerboard can be sealed and hardened with tung oil. apply liberally, let dry an hour then wipe off the excess.

This is the first I've heard of curing a fingerboard with tung oil. Does it really make the wood more resistant to wear? That'd be great if so — I play my ouds a lot and am always wearing out the fingerboards. Any potential downsides?

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top