Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dreadnought oud build
norumba
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-15-2018 at 07:26 AM
Dreadnought oud build

Hi folks, been away for a while, -- back at it:)

Thought I'd start by sharing this: Stan Burg over at Guitar Vista let me have the good fortune of testing out a prototype oud/dreadnought instrument, built by Iraqi refugee oud maker Jawad al Fatlawi, now living in Maine and building guitars for Dana  Bourgeois, who let him experiment with this build. Apart from Jawad's personal build, this is the only other one so far.

Stan has graciously allowed me to play it for a few days to open it up . This clip is at the end of the second day of playing it, and I put it through its paces in the full clip. It really is starting to sing. Its not my best playing -- scale length and string spacing are not what I have -- but this is a very interesting piece, and I hope I showcase it well enough.

This one is ladder braced.

I'm not a builder but I do love geekingbout on build threads. I'm curious as to how the dreadnought body design plays into this, especially  for a nylon string.  The sound characteristics of different acoustic body shapes isnt something Im well versed in. What would be the difference, for example, if he had built an OM style?

Tone is entirely subjective. For now this one in person sounds  somewhere between an Iraqi  and a traditional Arabic oud, leaning more towards the latter. Id prefer it more in the Iraqi teritory, with a crisper piano like attack in the bass and a bit more sing in the top end, but the top end could get there in a few more days play. Stan and I are debating whether to restring it as well, and that could help.

Thats just my preference though, and someone who prefers a more Arabic type tone in that ratio will be pleased, and my preference doesnt take anything way  from what this has going on.

This could be the devil to amplify or put a pickup in --  on the second day  it opened up to have a lot of volume and a lot of internal ring and echo. This one  will grow into something quite loud and lively.

Full video is at

https://youtu.be/xdG3a2SvcHw

Go To Top