Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pyramid lute copper vs. Savarez lute copper strings
grassyknoll
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-27-2018 at 05:09 PM
Pyramid lute copper vs. Savarez lute copper strings

Ello oud experts and enthusiasts:)

I am wondering if anyone has any feedback on the difference in sound between Savarez and Pyramid copper lute strings?

I'd also be interested to hear sound samples of either, especially when accompanied with techinal data (ie. Scale length, gauges/catalogue numbers for strings)

I have just recently tried my first copper strings (Savarez), on my 60cm Sukar oud (cedar top, arabic). I like the bass response when i dig in, also the warmth, which seems to come out so rich when i really dig in. On the other hand, they have a quite "thuddy"/dull sound, in comparison to Pyramid orange label (silver-plated copper), in the higher frequency spectrum, ie. they feel less responsive/sensitive.

It is my hope that pyramid copper are a bit richer on these higher frequencies, ie. more responsive/sensitive than Savarez (while also having the warmth of copper), but that could just be blind hope.. it's not based on anything.. and my financial situation is such at the moment that I'd love to try to gather a bit more info before making the investment in these costly strings.

I'm wondering if it's just a trade-off.. I can take the relatively cold (yet responsive/sensitive) silver-plated copper.. or I can take the warm, rich, give-more-the-more-i-dig-in (yet relatively dull/insensitive) copper

I'm curious of the differences in silver-plated copper or copper (or other alloy) wound strings between the myriad producers of strings out there..
Are some of them "warmer" than others, or more "sensitive/responsive" all other things being equal (ie. same material, just different brand)

Any feedback appreciated, and any sound samples/videos (especially with technical data, as said earlier) MUCH appreciated

Thank you for reading:)
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 10-28-2018 at 10:15 AM

Pyramid definitely sound different than Savarez. The Savarez, both silver and copper, are very fundamental-heavy, which is why you feel they have less high-frequency response. This can be helpful for overly bright or 'modern' sounding ouds, but may be dull on an oud that is already more focused on low and midrange frequencies.

The Pyramid are also more durable; they last longer.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
grassyknoll
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-30-2018 at 11:19 AM

Brian,

Thank you, thank you. Your generousity in sharing from your ample experience is warmly appreciated. This was the reply i was hoping for. I really love the warmth of pure copper (from what I've heard), and am excited that there are copper options that may pack a bit more zing on my mud(dier) cedar oud, ie. Pyramid.

BTW, i sent you an email asking for a quote for a custom set of pyramid lute copper (wound courses, 7 strings) (email teacow@hotmail.com). Love to hear from you about that.

As far as desired tension for each string (and even catalogue numbers) -- I can provide that --assuming that the tension i like with Pyramid silver would yield comprable results when using the same tension in pyramid copper, ie. Similar responsiveness/"bite" at the same tension.

Do you Brian, (or anyone) have experience with this? Ie. Recommended tension adjustments when switching from silver-plated copper to copper?

Thanks again,
Noel

Go To Top