Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Skype Lessons with Brian Prunka
DavidJE
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-16-2019 at 08:17 PM
Skype Lessons with Brian Prunka

I've posted here in the past regarding my very positive experiences with Skype lessons for the oud (primarily Turkish), and would like to mention my recent experiences taking Skype lessons with Brian Prunka, too.

All of my practice for the last 5 years or so has been in the Turkish style...Turkish classical compositions and songs, and more or less the Turkish style of taksim and improvisation. My improvisation and taksim practice has been exclusively non-rhythmic. Recently I decided I'd like to start working on rhythmic improvisation, and being from New Orleans I also wanted to be able to use rhythmic phrasing that has a "jazz feel" on occasion. I've communicated with Brian Prunka here on the forums and via email over the years, and I knew that before he started playing and teaching the oud professionally he had played jazz guitar. Listening to his Nashaz album, I also really liked his playing and improvisations and decided to try taking Skype lessons with him, focusing on rhythmic improvisation.

The lessons have been terrific, and I highly recommend him as a teacher. In just a couple of hours thus far, Brian has opened up an entirely new world of possibilities for me. He is very detail oriented, and has deep knowledge that he's easily able to effectively communicate. I'm sure he's able to teach just about anything oud related, but I can say for sure that if you are interested in improving your improvisation skills he is an outstanding teacher. You can find his contact info on his website: http://brianprunka.com/
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 6-5-2019 at 09:07 AM

I'd like to thank David for his kind words about our lessons, and to announce something new I'm trying.

Any new student wishing to take lessons online (Skpe/Facetime) can get a free introductory lesson. I can give 3-4 of these lessons per month, depending on my availability.

While in-person lessons are always preferable, for some people there isn't a local teacher that is a good fit for a student's interests or learning style (or there simply isn't any qualified teacher). In that case, online lessons can work out well. Since it can be hard to tell if it will work for any individual student, I've decided to offer a chance to try it out for those interested.

You can read more about my teaching philosophy, approach and background on my website:
https://brianprunka.com/teacher

Short version: I've been playing oud for over 20 years, and have two music degrees. I studied extensively with some of the best players and teachers of Arabic oud: Simon Shaheen, Bassam Saba, Najib Shaheen, Charbel Rouhana, and others. I'm an active performer in NY's Arabic Music Community, performing with artists including Zikrayat, Wajde Ayub, Nano Raies, the NY Arabic Orchestra, as well as my groups the Bil Afrah Project, Nashaz, and Sharq Attack, and am co-founder of Brooklyn Maqam.

As someone who was originally an outsider to this music, I've found myself particularly well-suited to helping musicians from other backgrounds develop an understanding of the oud and maqam music, since I had to go through that process myself. For what it's worth, to my knowledge I'm the only non-Arab ever invited to teach oud at Simon Shaheen's Arabic Music Retreat, and I really connecting with fellow oud enthusiasts and sharing my passion for the oud and Arabic music.

Please email me at brianprunka (at) gmail (dot) com to set up a lesson or if you have any questions. Please don't use the forums u2u feature, as my mailbox there is overflowing and it makes it difficult to respond.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top