Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Buzuq fret positions
Mehran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-1-2019 at 09:32 AM
Buzuq fret positions

I've had a fairly good search around but can't find much information on this.

Does anybody know what the fret positions and total number of frets should be on the buzuq?

Many thanks

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 7-1-2019 at 11:22 AM

The standard positions can be calculated as simple fractions of the total vibrating string length:
Octave is 1/2
Fifth is 2/3 (from the bridge)
4th is 3/4
M3 is 4/5
m3 is 16/19 (low version)
M2 is 8/9
m2 is 15/16
M6 is 16/27
m6 is 81/128 (low version)
m7 is 9/16
A4 is 32/45
M7 is 8/15

Intervals above the octave can be calculated by doing the same thing from the octave.
The remaining intervals should be set by ear and the number of intervals used would be depending on the degree of microtonal flexibility you wish to employ.

Assuming the first string of the buzuq is C, you ideally want low and high versions of Eb, E, Ab, and A at least.

High Eb would be ~5/6
High E would be 64/81
High Ab would be ~5/8
low A would be 3/5

Plus frets for E half flat, A half flat, F half sharp and B half flat, which should really be placed by ear.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-1-2019 at 11:54 AM

I'm attaching an excel spreadsheet that you can plug in the string length and get the distances.

There are 12 intervals in the octave before adding the quarter tones, so the first octave should have 16 frets, plus repeating up to the 5th above the octave (so C Db D Eb E1/2b E F F1/2# F# G)

My Buzuq from Sukar is 78cm. I don't have all of these frets and it is manageable, but I have to move frets from time to time if I want to play in certain keys:

Ajam and Hijaz C require the low E
Nahawand D, Rast D, Kurd A, Hijaz A, Bayati A require the high E
Nahawand C requires low Eb
Hijaz G requires high Ab
Nahawand F and Kurd G require low Ab
etc.

There are still a number of other tones theoretically required, but the buzuq is an imperfect instrument traditionally. You can look at a turkish tanbur to get an idea of how many frets are really necessary to play all the notes in tune. It's really a matter of finding a practical compromise.

Attachment: buzuq.xlsx (37kB)
This file has been downloaded 141 times

Mehran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-1-2019 at 01:44 PM

Thanks Brian.

This is pretty much what I was looking for. The spreadsheet is golden. One of my main confusions was regarding the commonly included semitone frets, which you have explained well to me.

One thing on my mind still. Is there a practical limit to how many frets can be installed in close adjacency?

For example, is there sufficient space on the fingerboard to allow individual frets for a low Eb, E1/2b and E to co-exist without any intonation or string vibration problems? (Although I do note you have explained that these are commonly included frets, I only ask because you mention some frets are omitted, and wonder if this is the reason).

Related to this, do buzuq players commonly assimilate the two notes into a single fret which moved depending on the maqam? (for example the E1/2b and Eb?).

Finally, which frets do you find superfluous to your regular playing needs and omit?

Once again, many thanks for the information.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-2-2019 at 10:52 AM

Well I don't know what's really superfluous . . . you can use a compromise position on the Eb and Ab so that it is higher than the nahawand position but lower than the hijaz position, it's not ideal but it's easier.
I don't have both A natural and E naturals, for those I would move the fret if I needed it. If I was playing buzuq a lot I would want them but as it is I usually stick to a few keys where it's not necessary.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top