Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Is FCDGCF tuning ok on arabic oud with fixed bridge?
davec
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 04:52 AM
Is FCDGCF tuning ok on arabic oud with fixed bridge?

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer through searching.

I have an arabic style oud with a fixed bridge, but would like to try the Iraqi tuning F C D G C F on it.

If I buy a set of these strings, would it be ok to use on my oud? Or would the tension be too high and possibly damage the bridge or neck?
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 07:39 AM

Without knowing the tension of the string set you are contemplating and without knowing the scale length (bridge to nut) of your oud, no reliable answer can be given. I would not recommend a high tension F tuning set for an oud with a 63 cm scale. A low tension set might be fine. However I think it is likely that your oud has had strings tuned CFAGDC on it with no ill effects. Correct? Maybe even DGAGDC. Even more tension on the bass side and no problem. So use those very same strings, moved over. The tuning you are contemplating is identical to the one you are now using except at the margins. Right now you have cc in the highest position. Take those off and put them where your gg is. Move the gg to where dd is and so on. Where the cc was buy two new thin strings and tune them to ff. Etc. If it wasn't dangerous before it won't be dangerous now. As for the bass C, save it for when you want to go back to the previous stringing and tuning.
davec
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 08:25 AM

Many thanks Jody, I hadn't considered scale length, I'll measure that tonight.

Currently it's got strings tuned CFADGC on it, has been tuned like that for a few years without any problem.

That makes a lot of sense about moving the current strings over, I hadn't really thought of that, but it seems a lot safer than buying a new higher tension set.

Go To Top