Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Small question regarding pegs
Johnnyboy
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-14-2019 at 03:21 PM
Small question regarding pegs

Hello,

I've got a short question regarding the causing factors of pegs being hard to turn in the pegbox of the ud. I noticed that temperature/humidity changes, wood type and the way the strings are wrapped around the pegs inside the pegbox might be contributing factors to this.

However, apart from those factors, do pegs also get harder to turn in some way as the oud ages with time?
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 10-14-2019 at 07:41 PM

If the peg is softer than the peg box wall, it will deform and make it slip. if the peg is sticking but fits snugly at both ends, it's a friction problem. Get some peg conditioner or dope from a violin dealer. put a thin line around the peg shaft where it wears in the wall (it woill look shiney). Forget the chalk/soap/graphite method, you never get the mixture right. Buy some dope, I like Hill, it comes in a tube like lipstick, looks like a brown crayon.

Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-14-2019 at 10:15 PM

I use Hill peg dope on all my instruments with wood friction pegs, including oud. It works. And i don't get chalk all over my hands and clothes either.
MattOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Feeling Pretty G'Oud

[*] posted on 10-15-2019 at 03:53 AM

Hill's is good stuff. I used it from the start and have not had to use it again on my pegs. It seemed to be needed once initially, and then you are good for a while....
In canada, i bought mine at Long and Mcquade. It is very cheap.
Johnnyboy
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 10-15-2019 at 08:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Dr. Oud  
If the peg is softer than the peg box wall, it will deform and make it slip. if the peg is sticking but fits snugly at both ends, it's a friction problem. Get some peg conditioner or dope from a violin dealer. put a thin line around the peg shaft where it wears in the wall (it woill look shiney). Forget the chalk/soap/graphite method, you never get the mixture right. Buy some dope, I like Hill, it comes in a tube like lipstick, looks like a brown crayon.

Thanks for the info. I was more curious about the consequences of aging rather than any treatment. So aging usually leads to slipping instead of being stuck? Or does aging also lead to increased friction?
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 10-15-2019 at 09:08 AM

Aging doesn't lead to anything in particular. The pegs may end up wearing down the holes a bit and so slide a bit deeper in but this shouldn't result in it being tighter or more prone to slippage as long as the pegs are fit correctly to begin with.

If the pegs are poorly made, then as they move they may fit even worse, I guess. Also poor quality pegs of soft wood may deform slightly over time.

So the answer to your original question is: generally, no, the pegs do not get harder to turn with age.

Quote: Originally posted by Johnnyboy  

Thanks for the info. I was more curious about the consequences of aging rather than any treatment. So aging usually leads to slipping instead of being stuck? Or does aging also lead to increased friction?

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Johnnyboy
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 10-15-2019 at 02:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  
Aging doesn't lead to anything in particular. The pegs may end up wearing down the holes a bit and so slide a bit deeper in but this shouldn't result in it being tighter or more prone to slippage as long as the pegs are fit correctly to begin with.

If the pegs are poorly made, then as they move they may fit even worse, I guess. Also poor quality pegs of soft wood may deform slightly over time.

So the answer to your original question is: generally, no, the pegs do not get harder to turn with age.

Quote: Originally posted by Johnnyboy  

Thanks a lot for the info! My question is answered. :bounce:

Go To Top