Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Turkish strings on arabic oud?
danieletarab
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-28-2019 at 02:00 AM
Turkish strings on arabic oud?

Hello dear oudists,
I am getting a 60 cm new arabic oud from Dimitri Rapakousis and since I would also like to have a turkish one I was thinking of putting turkish strings on my 58,50 cm FARUK TURUNZ arabic reduced price. It's turkish size, so it won't be a problem for the tension, but I wonder if I am going to spoil the harmonic sound of the oud which it has always been tuned in C and built for arabic tuning. Shall I worry about that or different stringing is not such a great deal? Thank you!
Microber
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-28-2019 at 08:11 AM

Hello Daniel,
I also have a FAruk Türünz reduced price for arabic tuning and i tune it the turkish way. And it really sounds great. So don't hesitate.
Robert
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-28-2019 at 08:13 AM

Your FT oud has been braced to create an "Arabic sound". Tuning it Turkishly with the proper strings may possibly create a sound not typically Turkish. But it might be an excellent sound. Why not give it a try? It can't hurt the oud or the strings. Maybe it will create the best oud sound anyone has ever heard! or maybe not. It might be worth the price of a set of strings to find out.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 11-28-2019 at 08:59 AM

My experience with Turunz ouds is that they sound like Turunz ouds, not "Turkish" or "Arabic" regardless of the tuning they are for. It's a nice sound. The issue is less "Turkish" vs. "Arabic" sound and more, is the oud going to resonate the way he intended using a different tuning than it was made for.

Most ouds have a tuning where it sounds best, but there should be no harm in trying it. It may sound great, it may not. My guess is that it will be fine.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 11-28-2019 at 09:33 PM

I've got to second both Jody's, Brian's, and Robert's posts - give it a shot - just give the change in tuning time to sink in, not just until the strings stay in tune, but maybe a month or two after they've settled in.....good luck !

Regards - Paul

Go To Top