Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: String skips in tuning
maynard
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-2-2019 at 04:30 AM
String skips in tuning

Hi everyone,

I have a sukar oud and having some problems tuning.
If I put tension on the wound strings I will hear no change in pitch then suddenly a pop and too much change in pitch.

I've tried lubricating the nut with pencil lead,
I've tried peg lubricant
I've tried restringing to try and make sure no strings are rubbing up against each other (though sometimes it's nearly impossible with such a small space for them)

Can someone please show me what order they put the strings on the headstock to avoid them rubbing up against each other or the sides of the headstock?
And if there is anything else that I am missing. It is very frustrating taking so long to get the thing even somewhat in tune.

Thank you
Kinan
MattOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Feeling Pretty G'Oud

[*] posted on 12-2-2019 at 05:22 AM

Hi Kinan,
For peg lube, have you tried Hill Brand? http://violinistablog.com/hill-and-sons-peg-compound/
It seems to work pretty good.

The trick really is how to tighten the pegs. You have to get it close, and then push-turn the last part so it sticks better.
I find some pegs are so 'smooth' that it makes this step hard to accomplish. The pegs material should be harder than the peghead else it may not stick well...

For stringing, I always use this order and have been successful: http://www.oudcafe.com/stringing_and_tuning.htm

Also, i am careful with each string...how i wrap them... I make sure i am close to the peg hole with my string and keep it snug as i turn so the end result has the string wound away from the next one so there is no rubbing...if for some reason, i cannot avoid this for all strings, i put a piece of kleenex stuffed between the culprit string to prevent any buzzing...but mostly i can wrap it okay to avoid this.

i hope this helps. Cheers.
teslim
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-2-2019 at 08:07 AM

the popping comes from the string windings catching in the nut,, most sukars have a wooden nut,, nomad of graphite or lubricant can really help the windings etching the wood,, the only way is to replace with a bone or horn nut
maynard
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-2-2019 at 08:29 AM

Thanks for the replies,

I'll try restringing the thing with the picture shown, if that doesn't work I guess it must be the nut.

Hopefully I can find a violin luthier in Scotland who will replace it for a decent price.
ChanningPDX
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-5-2019 at 10:58 AM

Hello, Kinan!

Whereabouts are you located in Scotland? (I'm in the US myself, but I once lived in Glasgow for a spell and am a piper in my other musical life.) There should be plenty of good luthiers about who could make you something. Maybe track down Rob McKillop in Edinburgh (who occasionally has posted here) and see who he recommends?

I know there are at least a couple of other Scottish oud players here on the forum as well... Maybe Jack Campin would also have some ideas.

In my case, I bought a Zeryab oud about a year ago, and it also came with a cheap wooden nut that caused similar problems. I took measurements of it and ordered a new bone nut from Yaron Naor. (I think he has a page on eBay for international orders.) It improved the tuning stability of the oud noticeably.

Good luck!
maynard
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-5-2019 at 12:05 PM

Hey,

I'm in Glasgow now.
I sit and admire Rob's lute playing so much. One of the few lute players that plays with heart.
I'll check out your recommendations, glad to hear that it's not my fault just a part that needs replaced.
Jack_Campin
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-5-2019 at 12:54 PM

Maynard/Kinan - Chris Elmes in Edinburgh may be able to sort your nut.

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-5-2019 at 02:50 PM

It's 99% a nut issue. If you can't make or have a new one made, Perhaps rubbing some graphite "lead pencil" in the slots can help. You can also rub a wound string back and forth in the slots to burnish them a bit.

In the middle end, best to make a new bone nut...

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com

Go To Top