Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I want to change the bridge's position
zaazi
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-19-2020 at 11:30 PM
I want to change the bridge's position

Hello. While I was trying to detach the bridge, the wood beneath it got damaged. So I don't think I can put the bridge back in the same place. So I want to turn the Oud to a type like this:

meaning I want to attach the bridge at the far end of the Oud.
Here's a video of my oud:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4fmAyUltko

Is it doable?

I watched a video of an Iraqi Oud maker attaching this type of a bridge by just using duct tape. It surprised me because the normal type of a bridge needs 5 clamps to be attached. Can I really attach it using duct tape? Here's the video of the Oud maker:
https://youtu.be/DWlsQRykviU?t=299

He did just a demonstration saying the duct tape should by applied tighter than this.
hakimoud
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-19-2020 at 11:58 PM

Hi Zaazi, the soundboard of floating bridge have less tension than fixed bridge so maybe it's possible.
But your soundboard is very damaged ...I don't think that it will support the strings tension !
Moreover I heard that oud makers built the braces of soundboard floating bridge oud's differently thank fixed bridge.
Soundboard is probably the most important element of and oud for the sound.
I'm not a luthier so I can be wrong ... wait for the advice of Samir or John Vergara who are both very good expert of oud making and repair.
I advise anyone to try to repair his oud, especially if he does not have experience at least in the lutherie in general, a mistake can be expensive and luthiers familiar with ouds are rare, especially in western countries.
have a good day ! :)

JassimbinMater
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-20-2020 at 06:56 AM

First of all, you can most definitely reattach or replace the fixed bridge, and that’s what I would advise doing.

You could change it to a floating bridge, but you’ll still have a big gash in the face where the fixed bridge was, what are you planning to do to cover it? You’d have to replace the pickguard with a much larger one which looks ugly and could affect the sound of the oud.

Maybe you could use tape to fix the bridge in place while glueing it but in my opinion it’s not precise enough and doesn’t apply enough pressure to keep it affixed properly.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 6-20-2020 at 08:07 AM

The position of the bridge is based on the position of the braces and the length of the neck; changing it will affect the oud's intonation and tone, and possibly the structural stability.

Floating bridge ouds usually are constructed for more string tension, not less.

While it's often possible to successfully convert a floating bridge oud to a fixed-bridge oud, I would be more hesitant to do what you're proposing.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top