Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ali Khalife - Zeryab Ouds Question
Daryush
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-18-2020 at 06:02 AM
Ali Khalife - Zeryab Ouds Question

Hello,

I have recently been considering purchasing a Zeryab oud from Ethnicmusical or Arabinstruments.

The two models I am looking at are:

Shami Oud Zeryab #2 (decorated like a 'Nahat' oud)

and

Shami Oud Zeryab #1 (Arabinstruments lists this as #1b, but it seems to be the same as the one on Ethnicmusical?)

The Zeryab #2 is more expensive, but it is difficult to get a good idea of how different #1 and #2 sound from the clips provided on both sites.

Also, I am physically not very large so I would prefer an average or smaller sized oud (i.e. definitely not bigger than 'average'), but the exact dimensions are not mentioned. Ethnicmusical notes 58cm string length.

I know that several forum members recommend Zeryab ouds - so I was wondering if anyone has any experience/comments/advice regarding either of these models? Also if anyone has experience ordering from either of these companies, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-18-2020 at 09:18 AM

No experience with this seller but I would think it's a legit seller. No reason to worry.

The zyriab ouds will sound very similar regardless of the model. In my opinion they sound pretty good though once in a while it can be a miss. The cedar top is also sometimes a bit on the thin side which I have seen warped pretty badly. If you are careful with string tension should be no issue.

The zyriab ouds are on the smaller end of ouds and are about the size of Turkish ouds. I find them very comfortable

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Daryush
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-18-2020 at 09:37 AM

Thank you SamirCanada!

I actually just came across a seller on Gumtree who is local to me selling a Zeryab oud, spruce top. The recording they sent me sounded pretty good, so I think I might go with this one as it avoids the hassle of import duties etc.

I did notice the seller had it tuned to Iraqi (high) tuning, whereas I would be using it in Arabic CFAdgc tuning. Hopefully this won't mess with the sound too much...
Jonahnelson2
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-31-2020 at 01:03 PM

I am also a smaller person and it was extremely comfortable to play the Ziryab compared to a larger oud (e.g., Kamil Mowais). A few other things: projection was low; it didn't stay in tune well (I never changed the pegs); and it had a finish on the bowl which made it almost slippery. No idea what that actually is made out of.
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 9-7-2020 at 09:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Daryush  
Thank you SamirCanada!

I actually just came across a seller on Gumtree who is local to me selling a Zeryab oud, spruce top. The recording they sent me sounded pretty good, so I think I might go with this one as it avoids the hassle of import duties etc.

I did notice the seller had it tuned to Iraqi (high) tuning, whereas I would be using it in Arabic CFAdgc tuning. Hopefully this won't mess with the sound too much...

I don't know if your decision has already been made to buy the Zeryab oud or not, but I have a couple of videos of myself playing a Zeryab that my luthier lent me for a few weeks while he fixed my oud. (The vids were to help him sell it.) It was a very well-made instrument for the price he was asking ($300); he did replace the tuning pegs and nut, which he judged to be sub-par. I honestly would have bought it myself, but I don't have the room for it. It was small and easy to play. It felt like the fingerboard was well-milled and very accurate, actually, better than my oud in that respect. Given the smaller size, the sound was relatively thin. I chose to play it with a softer risha (pick) than I normally use, to give it a richer sound. I was actually sad to surrender it back to the luthier, but the buyer had finally come through and actually paid for it! You are welcome to U2U me; I could find a way to fileshare the vids.

Go To Top