Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Floating bridge oud plans?
ahmedalalousi
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-10-2021 at 03:29 AM
Floating bridge oud plans?

Happy new year folks :)

Looking for floating bridge oud plans. Anyone?

Thanks in advance ..
ahmedalalousi
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-8-2021 at 12:56 AM

Seeing that nobody around here is interested in sharing anything remotely relating to plans, actual techniques and material beyond just showing off what they actually did in photos ...etc, then I'll share my own - most of all moulds.

I've started a 3D modelling exercise on an Iraqi oud made by personal friend and luthier Yaarub Mohammed Fadhil. Once complete, I'll have enough data to generate the necessary STL and G-Code files to slice the components necessary to construct an accurate physical model of the mould and thus the bowl - these SHALL AND WILL be published here in gory detail.

I also have a floating bridge oud made by Yaarub's father, the late Mohammed Fadhil, in 1974, so will model that in due course - not really interested in fixed bridge ouds, so this is a second priority, though will also done for completeness.

Finally, I came across an Oud Maker, Yaron Naor, who sold me plans for both floating- and fixed-bridge ouds, so that's another starting point.

Watch this thread if, like me, you've struggled for plans and translating what you read into actual building tools. Don't know about anyone, but the whole point of being in a community is to share, and that's what I intend to do.

Ahmed.

I think love's kiss kills our heart of flesh.
It is the only way to eternal life (The Epic of Gilgamesh)
OudSwede
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 4-2-2021 at 01:26 AM

Dear Ahmed,

Fantastic idea to write about your experience with making a floating bridge oud. Its a bit different with the bent soundboard and the fasting of the strings, and I have also been looking for instructions.

I'll look forward to see your experiences shared on the forum.

Good luck!

Viktor
PS. I have also seen Naor's building plans, but the actual building of one, I have never seen.,

Go To Top