Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Broken Pegbox Advice?
kampanas
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-2-2021 at 11:45 AM
Broken Pegbox Advice?

I recently received this oud that I'd ordered, but it arrived with a crack from the joint where the pegbox meets the neck through to part of the neck itself.

How do I fix this and what kind of glue will I need?

Photos: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmUBnAuA

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 3-2-2021 at 11:48 AM

The good news is this is a pretty clean break. The bad news is that this will need to be reinforced as glue alone is probably not going to be enough to really secure it. I'm sure some of the luthiers here will chime in shortly with specific advice, but you are probably going to need to take this to someone who can repair it properly.
Trying to glue it yourself will usually just make it more difficult and expensive to repair properly later on when your glue fails.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-2-2021 at 02:34 PM

A proper repair will require:

- removal of the pegbox
- patch repairs to the neck and pegbox backplate at the neck joint.
- removal of all old glue down to the bare wood.
- refitting of the pegbox to neck joint.
- regluing the pegbox (hot hide glue preferred but not essential)
- repairs to the finish around the neck joint.
- adjustments to the nut height.

Work best left to an experienced luthier.

Good luck
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-4-2021 at 01:33 AM

hello

it seems a commun break on oud being shipped.
The notch in which the pegbox come into the neck secure the assembling, and from i have seen it is just fit and glued in place when a new instrument is build. I mean without clamping in tension like gluing the bridge on the soundboard from exemple.
So I guess this kind of joint is weak, and that under pressure during shipping it can break easily.

At the same time it is not the glue that is the main important, i guess it is the structure itself of the assembling. The notch, the plate on which the pegbox is put with the string tension in a direction which hold the whole in place.

I had the problem once and was suprised i could anyway play the oud under string tensin. String action was high though and it is just while really checking this issue in detail i noticed the joint was broken.

If it is an unexpensive instrument maybe you can try to solve it first and see what's happen.

In any case use wood glue, hot glue, titebond, anything that can be easily take off. No hide glue to avoid the kind of problem Brian is raising

When i had the problem, i just clean a bit the old glue in the joint, without removing totally the pegbox. I put a sand paper and clean it superficially. Put white wood glue, and also inside the break there was in the wall of the pegbox, putting some on my finger and overlaying the break of the pegbox wall. I just kept it under tension of the hand, a few minutes the time for the wood glue to dry a bit. Excess wiped off with a humid towel.

It is stable for 3 years on mine, on a floating bridge.

Where i'm not sure it will work on yours is that the notch of the neck is break and this part is i guess for a good part in the the stability of this joint. But as it is the very tip end of the notch which is broken, may worth a try

This is very unprofessional advice, the best and clean work is the one provided by Jdowning. It would be the best option for sure

But it was just to make another feedback on this kind of experience

Good luck

Go To Top