Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Zeryab Shami Tuning - Help!
alrashid
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 05:56 AM
Zeryab Shami Tuning - Help!

Hello/Salam to all! I have recently started my Oud journey by purchasing a Zeryab Shami. The oud has 12 strings (6 pairs) and pegs for each one. I am having some trouble tuning it though. I tuned it to FADCGF (low to high) since that's typical for 12 string Arabic ouds but it sounds very off still. I tried doing CFADGC and still sounds off. I used a tuner app on my phone for all of this.

I am now convinced it has something to do with the strings and their quality, but I am very lost. I really would prefer C to C since most tutorial videos and lessons follow that but honestly would like help in general. I have attached pictures of the oud and strings. If someone could please take a look and offer some advice/help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much!!

imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-LrGTHYKxlrw1 (1) (1).jpg - 40kB

imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-tBeyGHrPIwHOHu (1) (1) (1).jpg - 33kB imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-LrGTHYKxlrw1 (1) (2).jpg - 40kB
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 06:43 AM

First of all you've got the C and G reversed in the F tuning. The highest pitched 4 courses in any oud tuning are always a fourth apart. So in F tuning that is D G C F. So if you are really tuning those strings to D C G F it will certainly sound wrong and especially if you are really tuning the third string to C one of two things will happen soon: either the string will break or the oud will break. But maybe DCGF was a typo.

Secondly you cannot safely or practically tune the same set of strings to both F and C tuning. One needs to tune the strings to the pitch for which they were intended.

If you want to use C tuning buy a reasonably priced set of oud strings intended for C tuning. There will usually be eleven strings. The bass course will be single, not double. Don't worry about about an unused peg.

It is possible that I have misunderstood your oud situation. Could you please say more about what you mean by "off"? Bear in mind that perfectly tuning one pair of strings in unison (D and D for instance) is no guarantee that these strings will remain in tune, especially after tuning another pair. Tuning takes time and one will need to go back and fine tune again and again.
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 08:20 AM

I'd recommend medium tension strings meant for Arabic C-c tuning unless you're specifically looking to learn material written for F tuning. Also keep in mind nylon strings tend to stretch quite a bit so if the oud and strings are new that may be why things seem a little unstable. Usually after re-tuning for a couple of days the strings will settle and hold tune very well.
alrashid
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 09:09 AM

Hi All,

First, thank you so much for your replies. Apologies if I wasn't clear enough in my last statement. There was a typo in my F tuning statement. What I mean by it sounding "off" is that when playing (in F tuning), the strings feel like they do not have tension and buzz/feel very loose, especially the higher notes. I am more than happy to send a snippet of the sound. The current strings definitely feel like they are made for F tuning as well. I have also experienced some strings going off tune when I tune a different one, but I have been pretty thorough about tuning every often and keeping an eye on it it each time I play.

My plan is to purchase C-c strings moving forward...

Thank you all for your assistance!
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 12:09 PM

They do appear to be meant for F tuning given the unwound 3rd course. Let us know if the C-c strings work out... generally speaking, fixed bridge ouds like yours are designed with C tuning in mind so I think you'll be pleased.
alrashid
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-15-2021 at 03:55 PM

Hi All,

New update here, I bought some C-c Pyramid strings nearby in CA and the oud is sounding much better. With simple youtube videos, I changed the strings myself and feeling much better after tuning it. They do sound a bit staticky/ringy at the moment but I figured that's typical as the strings are still settling in.

Thanks for your advice everyone.
coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-16-2021 at 04:25 AM

The sound will get better once the strings settle in. For your next round, try D'Addario EJ95A Arabic Oud Strings. They are my favorite strings for the Zeryab I have.

Go To Top