Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Help identifying this oud
Victoria
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-29-2023 at 07:56 PM
Help identifying this oud

Hi everyone :wavey:

I am new to the forum and just wanted to say hi. I have been playing the classical guitar for a while and got very curious about the oud and the sound of it. What I find especially interesting is it being a fretless instrument and the fact that it is the predecessor to the guitar. And ofc the wonderful sound it produces.

And also I have a tiny request ;) I wonder if any of you guys could help me to more clearly identify this oud? I bought it from a couple who used to live in Saudi Arabia where they bought this oud 35 years ago but it appears it is from Bahrain according to the text.

I presume it is an Arabic oud due to the size (scale length of 61 cm) and its features. And of course from where it originates :) I plan to use strings for it with Arabic tuning (c`g d A G C). Mainly because I found a place to learn playing it and it seems this is the tuning they mainly use.

Thanks a lot for checking out the photos and in advance for your help! :)

EDIT: Additional photos has been added.

coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2023 at 04:17 AM

Hi Victoria, welcome to the forum!

The label says it was made in "Bahrain" music workshop in Manama, Bahrain. There is also a year stamp but it's faded, 1960 maybe?

You'll find that there are many folks here who also dabble with classical guitar (or other forms).

Cheers!
Victoria
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-30-2023 at 04:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by coolsciguy  
Hi Victoria, welcome to the forum!

The label says it was made in "Bahrain" music workshop in Manama, Bahrain. There is also a year stamp but it's faded, 1960 maybe?

You'll find that there are many folks here who also dabble with classical guitar (or other forms).

Cheers!

Thanks for welcoming me and thanks a whole lot for placing some info on it, coolsciguy :) Very interesting getting to know this oud better :) I updated the photo of the label so maybe it is now possible to date it? :bounce:

Cheers and thanks again!

coolsciguy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2023 at 05:21 AM

Sure thing!

I can read it clearly now. So that wasn't a date label, as it appears it says made in 690, Manama, Bahrain. Not sure what 690 refers to here, perhaps other folks can pitch in and figure it out.

Victoria
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-31-2023 at 02:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by coolsciguy  
Sure thing!

I can read it clearly now. So that wasn't a date label, as it appears it says made in 690, Manama, Bahrain. Not sure what 690 refers to here, perhaps other folks can pitch in and figure it out.

Thanks for taking a look at it again. Well I don't really know about the 690 either. But nice to have some info on it at least, so thanks for translating :)

Victoria
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-7-2023 at 05:55 AM

I just noticed now that there is a huge label inside the body of the oud just like on most guitars. I shot this through the rosette :)

..and translated it using Google Translate:

By the way: Bahrain literally translates to "the two seas" :)

Go To Top