Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: arabic Music retreat
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 4-16-2005 at 01:41 PM
arabic Music retreat

Hey people.. I was wondering if any of you had a good experiance from the arabic music retreat with Mr.Shaheen?

It looks like its a awsome thing to attend. Iam thinking about going... only from Montreal It would have to be really worth it. so let me know please.

Also.. do you need to bring your own instrument? because it doesnt state so anywhere...
Thank you Samir
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 4-16-2005 at 03:55 PM

Hey Samir,

I've gone to the retreat three times, and it's always totally amazing. The teachers are incredible, and you get to meet a lot of really great people. Plus Najib Shaheen oversees the kitchen, so the food is terrific.
Going to the retreat was one of the best decisions i've ever made. I remember putting up a post just like yours about 5 years ago, and someone who had gone recommended that i give it a try and I'm really glad that I did.
Incidentally, if you're a performer, you may be able to get a grant from the canadian government to go. I know a lot of musicians who have done similar things.
You do need to bring your own instrument to the retreat.

Just to give you a little insight into what a typical day is like at the retreat:
8:00 am breakfast
9:00 am - ear training with Simon (maqamat and iqa'at)
10:00 am - maqam theory (beginner class w/George Sawa, intermediate/advanced class with Simon)
11:00 am - lecture with Jihad Racy (topic changes every year, previous topics include Tarab, regional variations and folk music, etc)
12:30 lunch
1:30-4:30 pm private lessons
4:30-6:30 pm chamber ensembles (takht, with one of the instructors directing the ensemble)
6:30 pm dinner
8:00-10:30 p.m. large orchestra rehearsal (directed by various instructors)
10:30 pm - 8 am jam sessions and other activites (including impromptu performances by bassam saba, jihad racy, the shaheens and others - but you have to stay up late to catch these ;) )

rinse and repeat for a week
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 4-16-2005 at 04:38 PM

thanks for the imput Brian. I will probably give it a go. After hearing your playing... I must say it surely is effective;)
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 4-16-2005 at 05:34 PM

I am actually considering going this year. I say that every year, but this year, I feel motivated and inspired. And, one of my favorite oudists, Charbel Rouhana will be there this year.

Hope to see many of you there,

Sam
Orahim1
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-16-2005 at 06:51 PM

I'm asuming you guys are referring to the retreat on the East coast. Anyone ever attended or planning on attending the musci retreat in Mendocino County, California?
eliot
Oud Junkie

Mood: Aksak

[*] posted on 4-16-2005 at 08:37 PM

It's very different, from what I gather (I've never been to the east cost retreat). After the last time I went, I swore never to return since the scene is totally overrun with amateur belly dancers with a comparatively small emphasis on the music instruction.

But many participants have had good experiences, and there are several good teachers there: Nasser Musa and Haig Manoukian are both excellent players and teachers, and Mendocino is the place you're most likely to be able to pin them down for lessons!

If you can stomach the scene (it's quite "polyethnic," hippie, and intense), I'll be teaching at the Lark in the Morning world music camp (also in Mendocino). I'm teaching a group class on Turkish repertoire and another on "how to improvise in odd time signatures." I also have a couple of private makam students lined up for the week, and one intermediate oud student.
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 4-16-2005 at 09:05 PM

can someone please give me a quick overview of what the retreat is, who its open to, and how much does it cost? It sounds very interesting.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-16-2005 at 09:18 PM

the details are available here:
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-16-2005 at 09:20 PM

Sorry, I wasn't clear . . . the above post refers to Simon Shaheen's retreat in massachusetts, not the mendocino camp.

Brian

Go To Top