Printable Version  
Author: Subject: tuners set at 440/ string issues
dennis perusse
Oud Addict

Mood: confused

[*] posted on 4-20-2005 at 05:36 PM
tuners set at 440/ string issues

Greetings,

I have a question related to my tuner. I have a korg ca-30 and it is calibrated to 440. My question is why is it set that way? My tunings are the EABEad tunings (on my turkish UD) and I am wondering if it is due to those or not; or is it that because of how long the strings are in relation to the distance between nut and the bridge of the UD versus the arabic tunings.

dennis

ps
Also, how do you know if your strings need to be replaced if they haven't broken yet. Mine are six months old just to let everyone know. When I try to tune it, sometimes, it ends up that the tuner is all over the place and I end up having a difficult time getting the tuning correct. Any help here is greatly appreciated, thank you.:)
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 4-20-2005 at 06:21 PM

Hi,

I think 440 is the most common standard (esp. in the US), but in Europe I know there are several countries (Germany for example) that have the standard a little higher. You can adjust this on your tuner if I'm not mistaken ("Calibrate" button), I believe I use the same make and model. I keep my setting at 440 just to be more consistent w/ the people I perform with.

Changing your strings every 3-6 months is a good idea. My recommendation is that you don't rely so much on the tuner's "needle" and use the audible note sounds it can produce as a better guide. It's good training for your ears as well.

Take care,

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Africain
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-20-2005 at 06:47 PM

I have the same tuner, juste press the arrows near the word "CALIB"
why 440 ? because 440 is the frequency on the A diapason and an international music law.
there non relation between the 440 hz and the string's lent
In Arabic instrument, we use also Dokah raste, It's one tone lower than the diapason, If you want to use diapason 440 in your turkish ud be sure you have a good string. and the ud must be wel made especialy the neck
I use the korg tuner only with violin, I think it's hard to use it with the ud, I don't know why
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 4-20-2005 at 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Africain
I use the korg tuner only with violin, I think it's hard to use it with the ud, I don't know why

I think it is because the oud sound is so rich in harmonics and overtones that the tuner can sometimes get confused as to which note it should lock to.
However, the Korg CA-30 will do the job very well, provided you use it in a quiet environment and pluck the strings softly so as to avoid generating lots of resonant frequencies.

Regards,

Greg
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 4-21-2005 at 04:50 AM
computer tuning

I have been using a computer program to tune my oud. Originaly it has been designed to tune japanese flutes but it seems to do the trick for oud... I think Mav was the one that had put up the link.
Anyways for the interested here it is
http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~tuner/

there's a english icon in the uper right corner:)
Cheers
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 4-21-2005 at 05:10 AM

Hey,

It wasn't me that put up the link, but that's a cool idea. The Korg for me has been the best tuner I've used so far. I had another that was unable to register the low notes of the oud for many years. I recently replaced it, and like Greg said, in a quiet environment it works perfectly.

Take care,

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Africain
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 4-21-2005 at 07:35 PM

My problem with the Korg tuner is that.
I did this experience a lot of time, and I repeat it now before I write this replay
My ud is tuner dokah Rast (one tone lower than the diapason)
then my fisrt string is Bb, ma second is F, my third is C an so on.
when I hit the firt string, the tuner show me the right note Bb
but wher I strike the second, which is F, the tuner dispalys the reel note F but after less then one second, the needle displays Bb !!!!!!!!
I mute the other strings when strinking this string, the problem is that each of the tween string behave in the same maner,
I change the tuning of the two second strings, to C, the tuner show C and after it shows F !! (fourth interval like before !)
I think that there is something in the string
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 4-21-2005 at 09:00 PM

Try this. After tuning your first string, mute all strings until the Korg needle drops back to its zero position. Then tune the next string.

Regards,

Greg
dennis perusse
Oud Addict

Mood: confused

[*] posted on 4-23-2005 at 05:26 AM

hello,

Thank you for all the help, I'll appreciate it greatly. :-)

dennis
oudmaker
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-25-2005 at 04:18 PM

Just a little note guys
When I was young A dapason was 435 believe or not

Go To Top