Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Experience with Laouta? Persian Tunning?
yusufcam
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-12-2005 at 02:42 PM
Experience with Laouta? Persian Tunning?

Hi,

I am currently considering buying a oud/barbat. I have a friend who imports from Iran. Does anyone know the tunning for playing Persian dastagh's on the Oud?

Some artists are reviving the Oud in Persian classical music and they sound great.

Also being a budding guitar player I am very interested in the Laouta, as it is fretted. Has anyone heard one or own one. What are the tonal differences between a Laouta and a Oud? Is it an option worth pursuing if one wants to play Middle eastern or Persian music?

Any advice is welcome.
yusufcam
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-12-2005 at 03:12 PM
Found: Laouta sound clip

Hi,

Found a short sound clip of a Laouta if anyone is interested :)

It gives an impression of the sound.
sasan
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-13-2005 at 11:44 AM

hi yusufcam,
You can use any tuning you like to play dastgahs.I normally use the CFADgc tuning but found it easier to play the radif with an open G-String so I use CGADgc.On the oud we have much more strings than on the tar or setar so it doesn`t really matter how you tune the bass strings.
Hope that helped
Sasan
Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 1-13-2005 at 02:52 PM

First of all something to Yusuf.
This sound clip is with a Greek Laouto(Crete,Aegean Islands,Folks-music).But i dont think you have something like that in mind,because Greek Laouto has metal-strings and without comma-frets.So no chance to have the sound possibilities of an oud.

You are looking for a Lavta (turkish),which has a similar sound-colour with Oud.

Haluk Eraydin builds Lavtas u can contact him.

Nikos
yusufcam
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-13-2005 at 05:29 PM
Thanks for the quick reply

Great advice, on the Laouta/Latva and the dastaghs, thanks. I will wait till i here from Iran, before deciding on what to purchase.
Does anyone know of any online resources for learning the dastagh system, how far can you get without a teacher (I live in Australia)? I can access Turkish Oud teachers here, apparently.
Monty88
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-14-2005 at 05:20 AM
lavta

The lavta is an incredibly unique instrument. I know a guy who has a few for sale here in adelaide.

Here is a taksim of a great lavta player from greece named Socrates Sinopoulos.
It should give u an idea of how the instrument sounds. A cross between an oud and a tanbur.
Monty88
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-16-2005 at 01:44 AM
failed post

crap, it didn't fit on the page.
well look for the cd by Bijan Chemirani
"Gulistan" with Ross Daly and Socrates Sinopoulos. There is some great lavta work on that cd.

All the best
yusufcam
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-16-2005 at 06:29 PM
For your listening pleasure

Couldn't upload this audio, so i have set it up at.
http://www.iis.com.au/barbatmusic/
Oud and dafs played at a Persian Sufi Khaniqah, Nov-2004. Recorded on a sony discman, dafs get a bit loud.
sasan
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-18-2005 at 12:48 PM

this is really a nice piece do you have more of these?
Concerning your question, if you have never played oud in your life you should start with a teacher.It doesn't matter where he comes from to learn the basics.To learn the dastgahs properly you have to study the Radif in order to learn all the gushees and modulations.There is a very good method by Darius Tala'i called RADIF OF MIRZA ABDOLLAH.It comes with 6 cassettes so you can hear and see how the dastgah system works.I've never seen a better way of transcribing persian music.
And I woud be very interested in more Barbat music besides Behroozinia there isn't much coming out of Iran.
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 1-18-2005 at 03:55 PM

Wow, this is really beautiful music and playing. I've never noticed it before, but Classical Persian music has a lot of similarities with some Pontic music (Greek music from the Black Sea area). This makes a lot of sense geographically. Pontic music must have a nice combination of Byzantine and Persian influences, as well as other I'm sure.

Thanks for the music!

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Wm. De Leonardis
Oud Maniac

Mood: AOK

[*] posted on 1-18-2005 at 05:46 PM

Hey,

You can purchase RADIF OF MIRZA ABDOLLAH book and 5 CD's by Darius Tala'i here:

http://www.mazdapub.com/Traditional-Music.htm

The book has notation for each gushe and reng that's performed on the CD's. It's $95.00(US) but worth every penny. There's another CD set of the Mirza Abdollah Radif available, too. This one is performed on tar by Ostad Noorali Brooma--there is no book, though:

http://www.mahour.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_C...

I've seen several different recorded collections as well; however they were all on cassette.

As far as recordings go, there are plenty on Shahedi and a few Nariman tapes and CD's out there. Try http://www.caltex.com. Other than that, there are a few group recordings that feature oud--one with M.R. Shajarian comes to mind. Although they are a Kurdish group, but located in Iran, the Kamkars feature oud. In-the-end, though, there aren't a lot of Irainian oud/barbat players with recordings. Hopefully, this will change as the instrument seems to have become popular again in Persian music!

William
yusufcam
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-18-2005 at 08:04 PM
Thanks again for the Advice

Wm. De Leonardis (da vinci?)

Thanks for the website address for the CD/books.

Hi Sasan...

We made the original recording when a Persian ensemble visited us last year.

The last night they were here the main singer/Tar player was sick so the Oud player performed alone with the dafs. That was the only night that it happened this way (most likely for this forum's benefit ;))

I have one other recording which I have posted at

http://www.iis.com.au/barbatmusic

It is of the whole ensemble and the Oud accompanies the singer, plays counter melodies and basslines. It's 20 mins long.
Its not an Oud solo but shows it in another context and nice nonetheless.

Enjoy ....
kasos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-21-2005 at 01:07 PM

Hi. I'm new to this site, and rather late to join this thread, so I'm not sure whether I'll be reaching anyone soon. However, just in case....

I recently acquired an instrument referred to on E-bay as a Laouta. It was Turkish made, and, though I can't say for sure, probably is the instrument referred to above as a Lavta. I concur with the respondent above who indicated that there is a difference between the Greek Island Laouta and the Turkish variety - not only is the Greek Island version steel strung, but it's bigger and tuned differently. They both have frets however. I posted a thread today with respect to strings for the Turkish variety - unfortunately, though I'm happy enough with my new purchase in other respects, finding information about where to find appropriate replacement strings has been more of a challenge than I anticipated. Any suggestions would be welcome, particularly with respect to suppliers located in Canada (where I live) or in Turkey, where the instrument is from. Thanks, Kasos
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 4-22-2005 at 05:03 AM

Dear friends,
Lavta is also in use in Greece,all the music schools here have obligatory Lavta.Also the "Odio Athinon'' ,one of the greatest schools on the traditional instruments here in Athens,has obligatory the study of Lavta with the oud.So you can imagine that if someone wants to get the oud diploma,has to play also and studdy and the lavta.
Lavta is also known and as Konstantinopolean Laouto.It has sinthetical frets,movable,berdes,and ofcourse it was and still is one of the very known instruments in Greece.Many great lavta players are here in Greece,and ofcourse has a wonderfull sound.Very common to the oud.
Best Regards
Spyros

spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-22-2005 at 05:11 AM
Lavta sound

here is an attachment of a lavta,
The instrument was made by Dimitris Rapakousios,
And as far as I know,he is the only one here in Greece that makes lavtas of this highest quality.
Best Regards
Spyros
P.S.Mike please If you can put the attachment to the subject with the Lavtas and Barbat.Thanks alot

Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 4-22-2005 at 05:33 AM

Spuro who plays here?
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-22-2005 at 11:48 PM

Is a guy ho has one of Dimitris's Lavtas,he is a very young friend of mine,but he plays very well....:)

Regards to All

Spyros

PSab
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 4-23-2005 at 08:44 PM

hi,
are you going to buy a persian barbat or just an oud from iran, because there is a big difference. An oud from iran is just like any other (arab) oud. but if you buy a barbat, you are dealing only with five courses. so you tune it from high to low as
Do Sol Re La Sol
also the barbat, has a much smaller body and a much longer neck. you you can go to high C on it. May i ask who is the maker for the instrument you are planning to purchase from iran and what city he resides in. Also youll find a properly made persian barbat to be very very light. (light as a feather i say) compared to arab and even turkish ouds. the sound is a bit higher and more clear as well.
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 4-24-2005 at 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wm. De Leonardis
...there are a few group recordings that feature oud--one with M.R. Shajarian comes to mind. Although they are a Kurdish group, but located in Iran, the Kamkars feature oud. William

A Shajarian recording with Hassan Behrouzinia playing Barbat is:
"shab, sekut, kevir" (night, silence, desert)
Arselan Kamkar plays, composes and teashes oud with the Kamkars Ensemble Here's a Barbat I made...with the map of Iran pick guard.

PSab
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 4-24-2005 at 12:12 PM

Here is a track from the cd Journey to Persia, featuring maestro behroozinia on the barbat in dastgahe mahour.

Go To Top