Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Buying Ouds from Maurice
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Learning

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 08:04 PM
Buying Ouds from Maurice

Hi guys.
I noticed that a "few middle-man" names were suggested when purchasing a oud from Maurice Shehata.
I do believe that this is NOT necessary.
Maurice, like any other big names in this field (and we are talking about less than 10 world wide) is truely keen on keeping up a good name for himeself becuase he is not just making a music instrument. It is a piece of history that will carry his name for generations to come.
My first time to see an Aseel oud was at an antique shop during a business trip to Jakarta, Indonsesia. It was probably made by his late father, Mr. Farouq Shehata. I wasn't able to buy it because I had no time. Something I regret until today!
A few months ago, I had the pleasure of contacting Maurice for a custom-made oud. Not only was he classy and honest, but also diligent and took a lot of pride of what he did.
The result was the best oud I have ever seen and heard in my life and a great friendship that is based on both respect, trust, and admiration.
Maurice is second on my list after visiting my mother in Cairo on my next trip to Egypt.
Have a great day everyone!

Go To Top