Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Unusual oud construction
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-18-2005 at 06:23 AM
Unusual oud construction

I have been staring at this oud for a couple of months. It is too pricey for me, but it is an incredible thing to look at. I have never seen an oud constructed like this before. Has anybody else? It is dated 1826 (actually, 15 Sevval 1241). Luthier Cengiz Sarikus has it at http://www.veyselmuzik.com and I hope he doesn't mind me lifting the picture for this board. I have gotten a couple of things from him in the past, and he has been a pleasure to deal with. Any comments on this type of construction? I am guessing it would not be as stable, but I have no idea. It would seem like it would be a bit more difficult to construct.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-18-2005 at 06:23 AM

I hope that the picture is clear. The ribs all meet at that rosette in the back of the bowl. Neat, huh?

revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 5-18-2005 at 04:38 PM

why would you have a sound opening at the bottom of the bowl? Wouldn't it usually be covered up by the stomach anyways? Doesn't make any sense to me.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-18-2005 at 04:44 PM

Jeez, sorry. I didn't mean rosette. I just meant a round inlay. The front looks like a regular oud. I don't know if there is an advantage to this, I just thought it was interesting. Plus, how many ouds are still out there from the 1820s?

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-18-2005 at 05:04 PM

Very unusual, indeed. I don't see how this would affect the sound. It's neat looking though...

Andy
Oud Junkie

Mood: excellent

[*] posted on 5-18-2005 at 06:24 PM

I have been extremely interested in this oud and have had a printed picture of it on my desk for over a month now. I don't see it being as difficult to build as a traditional staved oud and don't believe stability would be an issue if a thin wooden block were to used at point where the ribs meet. A solid mold would be necessary to build it rather than the rack or moldless method. What do you think?

Go To Top