Printable Version  
Author: Subject: klasik kemence (politiki lyra) for sale
phaedon
Oud Lover

Mood: Karcigar

light.gif posted on 6-5-2005 at 10:28 AM
klasik kemence (politiki lyra) for sale

I somehow ended up this past year with more kemences than I know what to do
with, and it's time to find a good home for one of them.

My instrument is described, photographed, and recorded at:
http://www.adamgood.com/kemence/

Price still 1000 EUR which is now around $1225.

You may contact me at the email address listed on the web site.
kasos
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-6-2005 at 08:45 AM

Hi, Phaedon

Your kemence sounds great! Is that you playing it? If so, where can I find more of your kemence recordings?

My wife (a cellist) and I (a violin player, amongst a number of other instruments, including oud) have been taking turns playing a Cretan lyra for a few months now, and this has led me to take an increasing interest in the classical kemence, as well. A friend of ours recently built one for me as a present. It's quite playable, although, as one would expect in the circumstances, not luthier quality. I'm fairly serious about purchasing a professional quality instrument within the next 18 months or so, but simply don't have the necessary funds right now. If you haven't found a buyer by November or so, please consider re-posting, or sending me a U to U.

Thanks, Mark/Kasos
phaedon
Oud Lover

Mood: Karcigar

[*] posted on 6-8-2005 at 11:37 AM

Hi Mike,
That is indeed my recording, just something I did to put a sample online. Thanks for your compliments.
I have recorded a CD with two friends, Ottoman instrumental music by Greek and Turkish composers. If you are interested please contact me directly and I will arrange to get a copy to you.
Hopefully we'll record more over the coming years.
What got you interested in this type of kemence?
kasos
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-8-2005 at 02:39 PM

Hi Phaedon. I will try to contact you directly about the CD. I'm quite excited to obtain a copy.

As for my interest in the kemence, it's an outgrowth of a musical play project (Three Brides for Kasos) which a group of my friends are currently putting on, set on one of the smaller Greek islands in the 1880's. Wanting to do the right thing, ethnomusicologically, we tried to collect a variety of instruments appropriate to the setting, among which the lyra figured prominently (we also obtained an oud, hence my connection to this site, which has been very helpful in a number of instances for my project, as well being as a pleasure in itself). When trying to collect background material about the lyra, its playing style and history, I developed a distinct impression that the earlier forms of the lyra, such as were used on the smaller islands in the period of the play, were very close to, if not identical to the kemence. So I started looking into that as well, and heard a wonderful recording by Turkan and Sinopoulos (letter from Istanbul), which I now own, and enjoy immensely. It's been more than enough to encourage me to proceed further in getting to know the instrument better. It sounds like you're exploring much the same musical territory, so keep up the good work!

P.S. I'm feeling very blessed today, and I hope you'll forgive me for sharing a bit of good news, even though it's only tenuously related to this thread. The Three Brides play was to serve as part of a fundraising project to acquire a full set of professional quality light and sound systems for our small community's main performance space, which, up until now, has been largely bereft of such amenities. As of today, with our Canadian federal government anouncing a matching $46,000 grant for sound and lighting equipment purchases, we now have over $100,000 raised, and can purchase almost the entire package we applied for. Many thanks to my wife Crystal, a saintly woman indeed, who has spent the past six months filling out grant applications and learning the lyra, to boot, to my collaborator Elias, and to the many volunteer cast members who have given up 6 weeks or more of their lives to make this possible.

Mark/Kasos

Go To Top