Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Learning oud
Abdull
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-23-2003 at 03:25 PM
Learning oud

Hello,

i started learning oud this summer in palestine, i've always have the interest but i never really got the chance till recently, any how i'm now in the US attending graduate school. i can't find anyone to teach me oud so i went and talked to a guitar teacher, he said he could help me. do you guys think this is a good idea or not? anything me or him should no about ? any advice ? i'm really deperate, i want to learn it so badly, i'm obsessed with it....
i know the basics, and i can play simple western tunes, but not complex arabic ones yet.....

waiting for some advice.....

Sincerely,
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-23-2003 at 05:18 PM

Hello Abdull,

Check out this site. It is a nice page that introduces the oud to the guitarist. As far as oud teachers in Florida, sorry can't help you out there.

Good luck,
Mike

TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 9-23-2003 at 07:43 PM

Hey Abdull,
I played guitar for about a year before I started the oud. Let me tell you something... it's not a pleasant switch at all. The spacing is different, and the technique is very very different. People used to tell me that I sounded like I was playing a guitar on the oud. That's horrible. Keep looking for an oud teacher. Microtones can't be found on the guitar, but are important on the oud. In addition, the scales are slightly different. For instance, the maqam Nahawand has been likened to the Minor scale in Western music, but it has it's differences. In my opinion, don't go for the guitar teacher.

TP21

Abdull
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-24-2003 at 07:04 AM

So what are my alternatives? i try on my own, and i'm stuck at the same spot.... i get so frustrated by the insturment.... i just quit... and that happens over and over and over .... what do you guys think i should do ?

thanks .
Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-24-2003 at 08:40 AM

Hi Abdull,

I feel your pain my friend. I suggest listening to as much oud and taqsim as possible. Do you have a musical background? If so, check out the Maqam World Website. It will help you out a lot with information about maqams. If you do decide to have the guitar teacher help you, this will be the information you guys will need. Who knows, you might convert him from guitar to oud. He won't be the first. :)

Good luck,
Mike

TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-24-2003 at 10:29 AM

I suppose you have to start somewhere. Try to do your best, and definitely use that website Mike gave you. Learning on your own is difficult, believe me... I know. How long have you tried to play it? Listening to different taqsims and trying to figure out sound pieces from Mike's site as well as maqam World will get you on the right road quickly. Good luck, man.

TP21

Abdull
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-24-2003 at 11:07 AM

I'll keep you guys posted about happens

Thanks
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 9-24-2003 at 07:17 PM
relax

Hey Abdull, don't sweat it man. When I first started oud I didn't even know what it was, my teacher practically forced me into it. I couldn't even keep it from sliding off my lap.
It's always hard at first. Whenever you have specific questions, let us know and someone will be able to help you, if not everyone.

Take it easy.
Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-25-2003 at 06:05 AM

Mav is right Abdull. I remember many times when I wanted to throw the oud across the room because I felt I wasn't getting anywhere in terms of progress. The beginning is the roughest too! So don't get frustrated, and learn to be patient.

Abdull
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-25-2003 at 02:57 PM

Tonight is my first lesson with the guitar teacher.... i'll tell you guys tommorrow what happens
Abdull
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-26-2003 at 03:59 PM

Well guys, my lesson went bad........

The guy got completely confused when i started talking about half notes and quarter notes and maqams.... any how the bottom line is that i'm my own on this one ...... so what i'm going to do is .... practice the arabic maqams... and i have a book for that... i know how to carry the oud properly, how to use the Reesha(the pick ) i know the location of notes on the oud, i know how to play simple western notes( short songs), and how the maqams work ... i also know how to tune the oud using the electronic device people use over here... so i think it is all about practice for me.. what do guys think?
udi_amos
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-26-2003 at 06:52 PM
practice

Definitely its all about practice...also its very important to listen to as much oud music as you can...not only Arabic but also Turkish, Armenian, and Greek oud players as well. Among many others, I suggest the old Udi Hrant recordings as well as more modern stuff like Richard Hagopian, the Bashirs, and George Mgrdichian if you can find it. Good luck with the oud, you will do very well if you practice and love the instrument. Keep playing!
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-26-2003 at 07:04 PM

I'm sure that it would be much harder to find, but is it possible to get a violin teacher for you? It has all the microtones and everything like the oud because it has no frets. Technique won't fly over very well, but then again, technique is something you develop on your own, in my opinion. No one can show you how to do a fast right hand tremolo (of course you can watch) but you have to try yourself over and over. Even better if the violinist is arabic so s/he could show you the maqams. I dunno, it's your choice, but I know that I've learned a good deal of info from violinists (right Mike? e.g. Victor, Elias, Tony). Tell me what you think of that idea.

TP21

Abdull
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 10-1-2003 at 07:45 PM
Advice on Oud Learning

What books are usefull for learning oud ?

Also what videos do you guys think could be usefull?
Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-1-2003 at 11:19 PM

Hey Abdull,

Check this site for a video for Mr. Vartan. I heard good things about it.

Good luck,
Mike

Go To Top