Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bashir oud by Fadel
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-15-2003 at 01:23 PM
Bashir oud by Fadel

I made a simple video one day with a friend. We used the video function on a digital camera and I decided to get the stuff online to show how fantastic the Bashir oud is when is made by Mohammad Fadel. NB, that Richard Hankey (Dr Oud) is probably the only ¨living¨ luthier who will build copies of this oud.
Also I would like to know if any oudfreak recognizes the maqam? You can download the file from here -sorry for the poor quality Bashir Oud
:airguitar:

Best wishes

Ronny
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-16-2003 at 12:30 AM

Allah Allah! Very nice Ronny. The oud has killer projection and sustain. Very full sound. The guy playing is real nice too! :applause:

Thanks for sharing this with us Ronny.

Mike

Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-20-2003 at 08:11 AM

Thanks Mike! I attached a photo of Richard Hankeys Bashir oud project. Just come back soon to my website where you will find mp3 for downloading of my own compositions and Bashir's and classical Iraqi maqamats played by me on the Bashir oud. Later you will find the world premiere of Richard's project! :D

Best wishes

Ronny
Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-20-2003 at 11:08 AM

Thanks for the picture Ronny. Looks like Doc O is using a mold this time. His book shows a jig to be used with no mold to make the back. I am totally looking forward to following your project come to fruition. And also for the sound files! You are overdue my man. :airguitar:

Mike

Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-20-2003 at 11:23 AM

overdue....:(

Best wishes

Ronny
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 10-20-2003 at 11:50 AM

Wow, man... I must say... the oud sounds incredibly awesome... Mike was right, projection kicks some serious butt. As far as the maqam goes... merely a guess.. Kurd on La? I'm not particularly the maqam guru, but that'd be my first guess. Anyways, awesome oud.

TP21

Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-20-2003 at 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronny Andersson
overdue....:(

Yeah Ronny, we wanna hear you playing man. ;)

Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-20-2003 at 07:19 PM

It's me on the short video.

Best wishes

Ronny
Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-20-2003 at 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronny Andersson
It's me on the short video.

Oh, I know that was you Ronny. That's why I'm saying I can't wait to hear a complete taqsim or composition of you and your oud my friend. You are just teasing us with this small clip. We want a full on piece for you. :D

Take care,
Mike

Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 10-21-2003 at 09:24 AM
Bashir Project

The Bashir oud body is not a hemisphere but rather is a bit shallower than if the face profile were roated 180 degrees. In addition the tail is shaped with a slight return past the horizontal plane. I built a mold to control the form as close to the original Mohammad Fadel Hussein as possible. The mold has a detachable neck block support to allow the body to come off after the last rib is assembled. Without the removable bulkhead the body would be trapped on the mold. The body's 21 ribs are Hondouras Rosewood, and will have Ash perfling.

The open jig method I have used for many years. I will make a comparison of these assembly methods after the Bashir is done. The mold took about three days to make, using 3/4 inch MDF (high density particle board.

With Ronny's kind permission the Bashir design will be available as an addendum to my book "The Oud, Construction and Repair". He has done a great service to the oud world in providing the details of this unique oud design.

Richard
www.droud.com
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-21-2003 at 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TruePharaoh21
Wow, man... I must say... the oud sounds incredibly awesome... Mike was right, projection kicks some serious butt. As far as the maqam goes... merely a guess.. Kurd on La? I'm not particularly the maqam guru, but that'd be my first guess. Anyways, awesome oud.

TP21

Thanks:D The maqam is an unique one: Maqam Bashiri. The first instrumental Iraqi maqam by Bashir. The video is only a middle part of longer improvisitation. :xtreme:

Best wishes

Ronny
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-21-2003 at 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Oud
The Bashir oud body is not a hemisphere but rather is a bit shallower than if the face profile were roated 180 degrees. In addition the tail is shaped with a slight return past the horizontal plane. I built a mold to control the form as close to the original Mohammad Fadel Hussein as possible. The mold has a detachable neck block support to allow the body to come off after the last rib is assembled. Without the removable bulkhead the body would be trapped on the mold. The body's 21 ribs are Hondouras Rosewood, and will have Ash perfling.

The open jig method I have used for many years. I will make a comparison of these assembly methods after the Bashir is done. The mold took about three days to make, using 3/4 inch MDF (high density particle board.

With Ronny's kind permission the Bashir design will be available as an addendum to my book "The Oud, Construction and Repair". He has done a great service to the oud world in providing the details of this unique oud design.

Richard
www.droud.com

Just keep on working Dottore:D I'm very happy that you are the luthier.

Best wishes

Ronny

Go To Top