Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New old oud
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-21-2005 at 07:36 PM
New old oud

I just got this oud last week, made by Hagop Ohanyan, Istanbul, 1968. The peg box was knocked off in shipping, but Dincer helped me get it back together (http://mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=2479)
So, here is something real quick. The strings haven't really settled yet, but I figured I would give it a shot.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-21-2005 at 07:40 PM

OK, I had to send it to Mike to get it reduced a little. It's pretty short, but it is over the limit.

Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-21-2005 at 08:00 PM

Here's the file Jonathan. Very nice sounding oud and playing. Great job on the fix. Let's see some photos. :D

Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-21-2005 at 08:03 PM

Just took a look at the oud. Looks great. Dincer...what do you think of your new pupil? Pretty good I would say!

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-21-2005 at 08:08 PM

It looks good because the photo was taken at some distance. No close ups on this one. And, if I could have gotten a "soft focus" setting on the camera, I would have! No, it turned out ok. It is great because I was sure that I would have to send it out to get repaired, and that I would have to wait months until I could play it. I guess with ouds you almost have to do some repairs yourself.
I probably should have waited another day for the strings to settle in a bit before I posted a file, but you know how it is when you get a new oud. And, seeing as it's a Turkish oud, and needed Dincer's help, so I figured I would put something Turkish up. I have been listening to a lot of Marko Melkon lately, which is where I first heard that song (although I know it is older).

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-22-2005 at 08:43 AM

I know this is off on a tangent, but, if anybody happens to have the sheet music for Seker Oglan, please let me know. It seems like it ought to be easy enough to figure out, but I am doing something wrong. I know, this has nothing to do with the above track. It's just the similarity of titles that got me thinking of this song.

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-23-2005 at 03:10 AM

Beutifull playing Jonathan.
You have been practicing a lot I think.
how long after you glued the pegbox back to the neck did you wait to put it under tension of the strings? Just wondering because it seems not that long ago I saw the post on how to fix it? Iam just trying to determine how long it takes for the glue to settle and so that its stable enough to put strings on?
Thanks SAmir
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-23-2005 at 06:39 AM

Thanks, Samir. I am really the wrong one to ask, because I know next to nothing on this, but I waited 24 hours. I had to re-glue the nut on, as well, so I then glued that on, and right away put on the bass and treble strings--I figured that would hold the nut in place. Then, several hours later, I added the rest of the strings on, but did not take it up anywhere near the right tension. The next morning, I tuned it up and it was fine. Hopefully, I won't wake up one morning and find it broken off again.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-23-2005 at 12:11 PM

This is mostly a test. I am trying to figure out how to post audio files (without having to go through Mike). Anyhow, if this works, it's the same oud--just sounds a bit better now. I pretty much took this arrangement off of the Al Gardner version. Sad song.

Go To Top