Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question regarding the soundboard of the OUD
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-4-2003 at 06:52 AM
Question regarding the soundboard of the OUD

I was just wondering what is more important when it comes to the soundboard. Is it a thinner face or precise bracing? Quality of the wood is important too, but how important is the thickness of the face? Is this the main factor of a muffled sound? Just wondering. :rolleyes:

Thanks,
Mike

Astrid
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 3-5-2003 at 04:10 AM
oud face

Hi Mike,

You know, I am not o pro oudmaker, others are more competent, but I will write what I know though.
If the face wood is bad in quality, that means, the years rings are to wide (good is one to max. 2 mm), not parallel or with knots or with wide or very dark lines (these are harder!) or the years are not "standing", the face can be thick or thin, it will sound muffled. A good face can be made quite thin, up to 1,5-1,7 mm, but also 2 mm are good for an arabic oud, even up to 2,2 mm can sound well. A bad quality wood cannot be made thin anyway, it will be not stabil. The braces are between 8 and 18 mm in height and between 4 and 9 mm in thickness, depending on the oud type and face thickness, too. They should be made of best spruce wood, ideal from the same wood as the face, years "standing" like on the face. I think the most important thing is that braces and face fit together, a thin face needs more support by the braces than a thicker face. I saw thick bad faces with very thin braces, I think the other way round is better.... Good braces are sanded well, made thinner at the top, and planed down towards the body. But because most arabic ouds will have roses, you can hardly check the braces without deleting one rose. so the test should be the face wood. If you knock on it lightly, it should sound loud with much resonance and al the instrument sshould vibrate. If you play the second high strings slightly, the second low stings should vibrate too. The age of the wood is very important, too, and of course the posrition of the braces, especially around the brigde. And no varnish, or a very very slight shellac protection, which you can hardly see.
But shurely Richard could tell you more.
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-8-2003 at 07:53 AM

Thanks for the response Astrid. It makes a lot of sense to me. You sure you're not a professional luthier? ;)

Go To Top