Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lute Strings for Oud
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 11-4-2003 at 09:06 PM
Lute Strings for Oud

Fellow Oudists,

I started experiementing with Lute Strings for my Oud (soon to arrive). I was wondering what tensions other players were using on their ouds. For my first attempt, I configured a set at 35 Netwons (give or take 1 or 2 for some courses) for standard arabic tuning C F A d g c'.

I heard Simon Shaheen uses them on his ouds. Anyone have any data on his perferred tension?

Thanks fellow oudists.
samzayed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-8-2003 at 02:29 PM

Hi guys,

My lute strings finally came in, after 3 days I am really impressed with what it did to the sound of my oud. The strings have amazing sustain, and warmth. They have this deep "hum" to them. All the strings have the same tension, so they all sound balanced. I hope to post a sound sample soon. . .

It definitely gave my Ghadban oud its "optimal" sound.

They were kind of tricky to order. If anyone is interested in how to order them, I'll post more info on this Also, they are kind of expensive $40 - 50 for a set, but could be worth the extra money if you're not satifsied with other sets.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-9-2003 at 04:46 AM

Sam,

That's great. I'm using around 32N for tension. (But Issa retuned my oud Turkish style--he says it is more suited to it because of the short scale of 59.5cm--when I make/buy another larger oud I may switch my current oud to a lighter gauge set and keep it Turkish style) How did you calculate the tensions? Looking forward to more info....

Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-9-2003 at 09:43 AM

Hey guys,

Yeah Sam, let us know what's up with the Lute string setup man. Who made the strings you ordered?

Later,
Mike

samzayed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-9-2003 at 02:00 PM

I'll post more detail later when I have time, but for now got to this link:

http://www.pyramid-saiten.de/english/product/histor/calculator.htm

This is Pyramid's string calculator. Go to number 1 button, that adjusts the string length of your instrument (Even though it says tension, its wrong), When you change this, you should the ruler in the upper right corner change, get that to your string length. Next go to the number 2 button, and change that to your desired tension, you should see the tension ruler change (This is the most confsusion part, Buttons 1 and 2 are switched, the label is wrong).

When you have string length and tensions set, look at the desired notes, and what model string is close or on that notes.

According to Adnan Darwiche, 33 N is low, 37 is medium, and 40 is high. I picked a round number like 35 (I don't why, other than, I didn't want to kill my instrument)

For example I have a 60 cm oud, and I have it configured to 35 Newtons. I got the following

C 1441 (I have this to 45 N because its a single string, more about why later)

F 1025 (35 N)

A 1017 (37N)

d 1010 (36N)

g 906 (36N) This is wound, more about why this wound later, it sounds wierd but it worked well

c' 0,650 (35N) Nylon

Good luck
samzayed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-9-2003 at 02:04 PM

One more thing,

Also, when you order contact Paul at info@pyramidstrings.com

He's the US rep for Pyramid. A set should cost around 40 -45 plus 5 for shipping. Mine cost 50 because I order the high f (I ended up staying traditional! I am glad I did, after listening to Farid Ghosn for 2 days, I have playing down the neck and soundboard like its a buzuq)

Contact me if you want to me to double check your calculations (I need your string length, tuning, and desired tension)
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-9-2003 at 02:22 PM

Dear all, I use Pyramid lute strings both on my main oud, the Bashir oud and also on classic oud. The Bashir oud with the short string lenght of 57cm makes it tricky to find suitable strings. Munir Bashir played on lute strings and so does also Omar. Myself prefer wounded strings for the g when I find the nylon little bit to thick and also not of the sound I prefer.
I buy my own strings from Matthias Wagner in Germany, who also do necessary calculations and can also help you to find strings by other makers than Pyramid. You can also buy Pyramid directly from the manufacture here in Europe.:D

Best wishes

Ronny
samzayed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-9-2003 at 02:52 PM
The Wound G

I ended using a wound g for the same reason Ronny stated above. For my desired tension and string length, I would have ended up with 0,875 nylon which is about .85 - .87 mm. In fact, that is the problem with the g string oud sets, their tension are far weaker than the rest of the sets. Using a wound g, allows you to keep the tensions consistent with the rest of the set

Ronny, do you have any info on what tensions you use, for what tuning, particularly for your classical ouds?

Thanks.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-9-2003 at 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by samzayed
Mine cost 50 because I order the high f (I ended up staying traditional! I am glad I did, after listening to Farid Ghosn for 2 days, I have playing down the neck and soundboard like its a buzuq)

Sam, what do you mean? Is your highest string f? (a fourth above the normal C?) If so, did you eliminate the low C?

samzayed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-9-2003 at 03:49 PM

No, was toying with idea for last 6 months to restring my oud to F A d g c' f', the "modern" arabic tuning. So when I ordered the set I got f' string just in case.

At the 11th hour, I changed my mind. I read Simon Shaheen interview where he talks about that tuning, and it discouraged me. http://www.afropop.org/multi/interview/ID/39/Simon%20Shaheen%20on%2... (2003)

Anouar Brahem is one player that uses this tuning.
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-10-2003 at 08:41 AM

>Ronny, do you have any info on what >tensions you use, for what tuning, >particularly for your classical ouds?

Sam, I don't have the newton for the strings but I do have the ordering numbers. NB, the classical oud I played on was with a scale lenght of 58.5cm-that is little bit short.
The very narrow spacing between the strings in every course on the Bashir, make it necessary to use thin strings.

Best wishes

Ronny

Go To Top