Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Turkish oud on e-bay
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 10-26-2005 at 04:13 PM
Turkish oud on e-bay

Hey guys,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Turkish-Oud-with-semi-hard-case_W0QQitemZ736119...

It looks fairly decent. Pickguard seems brand new. Don't know how much that "Oudi Hrant" claim holds, but hey, an oud is an oud.

TP21

paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 10-26-2005 at 05:13 PM

The oud looks pretty nice to me -- the info:

Oud is in excellent condition.

Made in Istanbul on March 25, 1972
Maker's name is Macit Esleyen ("Esleyen Saz Evi")
New front face, finger board, and finish on back.
Purchased from world-reknown oudist, Oudi Hrant.

The crucial info here is: new front face !! -- if you were buying, who did the replacement of the top is crucial. From the tiny pics, it looks like a decent insturment, but no matter who the original instrument was purchased from, if it has a different top, then it's a different oud. It could be a great sounding oud, but still any prospective buyer should get some more information.

PaulO
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 10-26-2005 at 06:40 PM

That oud looks nice...I wonder how it sounds.

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Andy
Oud Junkie

Mood: excellent

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 10:48 AM

I own an oud made by Isleyen (not Esleyen) 1974. The sound of my oud is excellent however I wish the action was a bit lower. The rosettes on the oud on ebay are different than my green abalone rosettes which are the original ones along with the top. The work on the Islayen oud on ebay was done by Viken Najarian of Calif which is evendent by the shape of the pickguard. The sound hole edges on my oud are tappered down to about 1mm. You can see my Isleyen on both my site and also on David Parfitt's site. It would be nice to get a sound clip of the one on ebay.
Andy
http://www.geocities.com/antronig/oud.html
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 11:34 AM

I wouldn't give too much importance to the Udi Hrant provenance. I absolutely love Hrant, but I know that a lot of ouds crossed his hands--some superb, some not. I have heard that often he kept an oud for a very short time, as people would often come up to him at performances and offer to buy the oud he was playing.

oudmaker
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 11:44 AM

Hello Andy
I just need to say that tappered edges of the holes are sing of a good craftsman with quite know-how. I do not know Macit himself but you just show me by noticeing the sound holes that he is a good oudmaker and you are a good observer.
Regards
Dincer

Andy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-3-2005 at 12:34 PM

Hello Dincer,
Thank you, this is the only oud that I have seen with the tappered edge. I recall from a classical guitar buiding class in the 70's that the better lute builders and classical guitar makers tapperd their braces to a point but never heard of sound holes tappered untill I bought my Isleyen. Are there other oud builders that you know of that use this method of tappering sound hole edges.

Jonathan,
I have heard the same about Hrant selling his "slightly used" ouds to his followers but I know he is not alone in this practice. The ouds that they sold, I would like to believe, had to be of some quality and musical value otherwise Hrant and these others would not even bother putting their seal of approval on them. BUT, unless the instrument is tested then we have no idea what we are buying.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-3-2005 at 12:48 PM

I wasn't disparaging Hrant. I love the guy's music. And yeah, a lot of udists will sell their instruments to fans--there is nothing wrong with that. Heck, Hagopian's father bought Richard his oud directly from Hrant (and it is a superb oud). But, it would be easy to get sucked into that whole train of thought that "this is Hrant's oud so it must be awesome." Not sure that you can do that. He had a lot of ouds at one time or another.

Manol taperred his sound holes. I think Kyvelos does.

Andy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-3-2005 at 06:16 PM

Don't believe Peter tapered his sound holes unless he is now. I am going by the one he made for me in 1974.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-3-2005 at 06:46 PM

All I am going by is a face that he changed for me in 2000 which, I believe, had it. But, I could be wrong.

Go To Top