Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Inspired by Jameel
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 12:28 PM
Inspired by Jameel

Following the completion of Jameel's new oud. I have been listening to the music in the beutifull video he has made. I think its a samai?? :shrug: composed by Simon Shaheen. I tried to duplicate it somewhat but you guys be the juge. The Taqasim at the end is pure on the fly improvisation I did it once and I thought its not too bad but I need a lot of practice of course.
Also this month marks exactly 2 years that I have been playing oud seriously with the help of all the Forum members I wish to thank aswell.
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 05:49 PM

Hey Samir,

Man, you are getting really really good. The taqassim toward the end was really nice. Of course there were some rough spots especially with timing but I know how hard it is to get passages to lock when you're recording in Audaciy. I love the idea of recording the Iqaa3(foundation) and then going back to record a taqassim. I'm going to be trying that when I get a chance. If you keep up at this pace, you are going to be playing like a pro before you even know it.

adnan
p.s. I can't wait to see the new oud
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 07:53 PM

Very nice try Samir.

who is plying the riqq?

Kind Regards,
------------------
Emad
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 08:10 PM

Sounds good Samir. Nice. That piece is called Arboresque. It's a composition of Shaheen's, but it's not a Samai. I'm not sure if it has a structure in classical arabic music, but I like it. The beginning is very similar to a song by Abdel Wahab.

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 08:39 PM

Thanks guys. Your far too kind Adnan but I'll take the compliment anyways hehe. I threw this thing togheter quickly before I headed for class. Its a really cool program this Audacity. But then again it has its down sides like locking the tempo right on. It seems you cant loop the beat with the demo version so its rather hard to stay focused. Jameel I didnt know what it was called thanks for the clarification. Its a real nice composition. I started with the idea of learning Simon's taqasim... that idea went out of the window rather quickly.
Iam really glad you like it Emad. Especialy comming from a accomplished player like yourself. Since you ask I was playing the Riq and the oud and Ironing my shirts all at the same time. :D
hehehe I used a program called Audacity. It allows you to play one instrument at a time and record over it with another instrument. So I first did the part with the Riq ( its me playing but I dont like the riq I have its a cheap syrian one but once I heat it its does the trick. I put it next to the electric heater in the house and it get tight.) And then the rest with oud.

Go To Top