Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Vart Kaghelen Kookas Yar
Amos
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-1-2006 at 02:39 PM
Vart Kaghelen Kookas Yar

This is one of my favorite armenian tunes...i hardly do it justice but i am really enjoying sharing my recordings with everyone. forgive my mistakes with the notes or with the armenian lyrics...i just love the song and tried doing a small recording of it...Happy new year everyone!
Amos
Andy
Oud Junkie

Mood: excellent

[*] posted on 1-2-2006 at 05:43 PM

Amos, I enjoyed it very much, one of my favorites too. I am dating myself but the song reminds me of Eddie Sirinosian singing it with Eli Nazarian on oud from the Artie Barsamian Band of the 1960's - 70's +.
maran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-3-2006 at 11:18 PM

Bravo Amos! Your voice and oud playing are both excellent, and very good pronunciation on top of it all. Keep it up!
Andy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-6-2006 at 09:23 AM

Hi Amos,
Sounds like you favor Arabic ouds or am I wrong? What oud or ouds are you playing? Just curious.
Andy
Amos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-6-2006 at 09:45 AM

Hi Andy,
You are right in a way...I use arabic tuning because I have a larger-size Turkish oud. My oud is from Izmir and was spruced up a bit by Peter Kyvelos in Belmont, MA. Peter put together a string combination that seems to work very well with the Arabic tuning...the strings are quite heavy gauge, however, and take some getting used to. If I could afford it I would certainly prefer to play a Kyvelos oud...My teacher, Al Bardezbanian, gave me a Kyvelos on loan for a while and it was the saddest day of my life when I had to return it!:(. Thanks for listening to my clips...What kind of oud do you play? Are in you in the US?
All the best for the new year,
Amos

Our music is like an ocean...
Andy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-6-2006 at 06:26 PM

Amos,
Thanks for the reply. Peter made me an oud in 1975, love it, have an old no name Turkish style oud which is the sweetest oud I have ever heard in my 47 "oud years" is my favorite along with two I made. I live in Somerville, not too far from Peter's shop. if you ever go to the Middle East Resaurant on Mass Ave. Camb Wed nights be sure to find me. I don't play I just watch and listen.
http://www.geocities.com/antronig/oud.html
Andy
Amos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-6-2006 at 06:45 PM

You are quite fortunate to have one of Peter's ouds! I am in cambridge occasionally and do stop by the middle east...perhaps i'll run into you there...take care,
Amos

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-9-2006 at 12:47 PM

Oh, man, you are awesome! Three cool tracks you have posted recently. I have to check this section more often.
Sounds like different ouds, though, or am I wrong?
I love this song. I think, but I am not sure, it was written by Udi Bogos Kireccyan (Hrant's brother-in-law, and the guy that wrote Cannakale). I have the old Udi Bogos 78 of this somewhere.
You sound terrific. I loaded these tracks on my ipod. Can't wait till you post some more.
Love that taksim, too. That oud sounds deep! Really awesome playing. The end of that taksim is cool, and it almost sounds like you are referencing Soode Soode.

Amos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-9-2006 at 06:44 PM

Hi Jonathan,
thanks, man...i love being able to share these tunes with all of you guys. i actually did use the same oud each of the clips...its an Izmir oud that Peter Kyvelos spruced up a bit for me. and you're right, the song is by Udi Bogos Kirechian...my favorite version is richard hagopian's, though.
thanks for your kind words...all the best to you, amos

Go To Top