Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Going to Istanbul. Good place for ouds?
Bulerias81
Oud Admirer

Mood: Ain't too shabby!

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 06:22 AM
Going to Istanbul. Good place for ouds?

Hello all. I am going to Istanbul in Feburary. I am interested in buying a decent oud. Doesn't have to be decked out with inlays everywhere.. just a nice even tone, ebony fingerboard and so on. I'm a Classical/Flamenco guitarist. So I understand what a quality instrument is. I'm new on Oud so I dont know much what to look for. So my questions are..

1) Where in Istanbul can I get a quality oud for a good price?

and..
2) Any pointers on what kind of oud to get?

Cordially,
John Vergara

\"I write the notes as they are, it is god who creates the music.\" -J.S. Bach
Udist
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 10:09 PM

Well , you should go to the Tünel Street which is located in Taksim ,İstanbul .There are plenty of music shops there.You should better have someone with you who knows very well about ouds.You can test the seller , you may ask questions about a guitar and you can see if he is honest or not.Sellers may give astronomic prices for especially for tourists , so be careful.I know there are many members of this website who lives in Istanbul.So you may leave another note to the site in order to meet an Istanbul citizen who knows well about ouds.
ktb711
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 01:28 AM

Hi John,

If you go to Tunel, you really don't have to worry about being devoured by hungry wolves and shopkeepers. I have been living in Istanbul for nearly three years now, and have grown to know many of the shopkeepers in the area. I can say that most of them (as well as the taxi drivers) are just trying to make a living, and are not the crooks they have been made out to be. The fact that you can bargain for the price goes to your advantage. However, you should keep in mind that the dealers are not themselves luthiers--just shopkeepers who do not necessarily know the instruments they sell.

Since you already know what a good instrument is and recognize good woods, you should have no trouble. As far as what kind of oud to get, you will only find Turkish ouds here--I have not seen a single Arabic oud.

I have one of Sadettin Sandi’s (http://www.cankayamuzikevi.com) top models and would like to sell it. The bowl is a combination of paddouk and mahogany; the fingerboard and pegs are ebony. The oud is less than a year old. I want to buy something else and am willing to sell it for nearly half of what I paid for it. If you are interested, let me know.

Also, if you let me know exactly when you will be in Istanbul, I would be willing to go with you to the shops in Tunel for the sake of communications. If you’d like, I could also take you to Faruk Turunz’s workshop on the Asian side. Most people agree that his ouds are great, and I can say that he is truly committed to making top-quality ouds.

Good luck!

ktb
Bulerias81
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 08:20 AM

Let me see pictures you have of your oud. How old it is, and if you have links for sound. I particularly want to get a brandnew one, but if what you have is nice and for a good deal, I might be interested. Also. How much would a decent oud in Turkey go for typically?

I dont know if you play guitar or not, but I myself am selling one of my guitars from Spain. Let me know about that too.

ktb711
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 09:31 AM

Hi John,

I would love to post a picture, but just realized that I do not know how. If you send your e-mail address, I'll send a few pictures.

The oud is less than one year old, and is in mint condition.

If you are not totally decided on buying a new oud, as I said, I am selling the oud for around half of what it costs. If you are coming to Istanbul anyway, I don't think it would hurt to have a look at it.

Perhaps you should ask a few members on the forums what they think of Sadettin Sandi ouds. They should be able to give you a good idea.

Here is a link that lists the prices of Sandi's ouds. My model is the VMUI-50

http://www.intermusika.de/en/reference.htm

All the best,

ktb
Bulerias81
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 09:43 AM

Yes.. Im seriously interested. As I mentioned before, I'll be in Istanbul from Feb 9th - 15th. I am looking for a nice oud.. and a good deal of course. If yours is as nice as the ones I see in the shops, theres a good possiblity I might consider purchasing it from you. My e-mail address is Bulerias81@hotmail.com Please send me photos and correspond. Id like to hear from you. Thanks.

Microber
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 04:53 AM

Hi,
I also have an oud from Cankaya.
I am a very neby.
But my teacher, an Irakian professional oudist says to me it is a very good oud.
I'm have to verify the model I have.
I think it's also the VMUI50.
But as I paid it 650 euros with hardcase, I have to verify at home.
Robert
Microber
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 11:22 AM

Well I'm back home.
I still think my oud is the VMUI50 model.
Or maybe the MUA30.
I don't know the exact difference.
They both look the same.
But I'm sure I paid it 650 euros in july with hard case and a second set of strings.
It is about 800 USDollar.
Then not so expensive than with the german online shop http://www.intermusica.de
I think you must spent much time to choose... and negociate the price.

Good luck

Robert

Go To Top