Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: "M. Fadel" Repair
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 2-20-2006 at 07:54 PM

Hey Jameel,

I've been woundering, how are tuning pegs made? Do you make yours or just order them? It seems like such a pain to make them.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-21-2006 at 05:21 AM

I order them. These are violin pegs.

sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 2-21-2006 at 05:30 AM
Very good job Jameelo

I can not add much to what Greg said. really first class work as always.

I also have a quick question regarding the spacing between the single strings at the nut. I am talking about the first high strings - the spacing between the singles.

How do you decide that space? Do you think there is a set distance between them?what is the effect in your opinion?

From what I see in the photo you provided, the spacing seemed like over 2 mm what is your say?

Thanks

Kind Regards,
------------------
Emad
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-21-2006 at 06:56 AM

You have a good eye Emad. The spacing is a little wider than normal. This nut was made for some thinner strings, and the Aquilas seem to sit in the grooves a bit differently. Personally I like the strings to be as close as possible. If there are too close though I suppose some buzzing could result. I usually make mine 1.5-2mm apart.

sydney
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-21-2006 at 08:37 AM
Thanks for your reply Jameelo

This is a part of the oud that often gets forgotten about and I thought there is a kind of rule to follow when getting the nut grooved for the strings.

I agree with you Jameel. I like them close, even less than 1.5mm I noticed that the string rings like a bell or in Egyptian slang it sounds like "zaghrotah". I never had any buzzing before but maybe will happen if they become way too close.

I admire your good work Jameel. God bless your hands

Wondering how far did you go with playing ... treat us to something with your new oud please

Stay well

Kind Regards,
------------------
Emad
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-21-2006 at 04:24 PM

That's funny, I noticed too that the strings seemed spaced a little wider than I'm used to . . . I almost commented on it earlier but I didn't have the time

Nice job as usual Jameel . . .
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-21-2006 at 07:57 PM

Thanks Brian. This oud (and my work on it) is nothing special, but your comment about the spacing is bugging me. I've been playing this oud the last couple days. This nut was made, as I said, for some thinner strings, but these aquilas are farther apart (particularly the g) for some reason. Go figure. It definitely has a noticeable feel, and I'm not crazy about it. Now I must fix it! Especially when playing fast, the finger doesn't necessarily "fret" the string properly everytime due to the width it must span. This is a good lesson in string spacing at the nut. I am particularly fastidious with regard to subtleties like this. It bugs me to no end if I get one of those high-pitched buzzes from the pegbox. You guys ever get that? Sometimes on string is just barely touching another or a peg or the pegbox and when certain notes (not even the string necessarily) are plucked it makes its annoying little sound. And I string my oud meticulously. Once found, a tiny (a I mean tiny) piece of folded paper under the offending spot usually does the trick. I'll post a sound clip after the strings settle in a few days, since they still sound pretty thin. Oh, one other thing. I recently sold my Sukar oud that had Aquilas on it for about 1 year. Within the last month or so (maybe due to the drier winter conditions??) the plains have taken on a real sweet bell-like sound, hard to describe, but something I've noticed in good-sounding arabic ouds. It got me thinking that the maybe the aquilas take on a better quality over time. They also felt quite a bit looser than when first strung. It's interesting because the plains got better, but the wounds seemed to get a bit duller. Anyone have any thoughts?

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 2-21-2006 at 08:08 PM

Hey,

If you strip the jacket off a wire (best if it's a smooth/hard jacket) and use it as a tube around any wound string(s) that come into contact with the pegbox that usually eliminates that kind of buzzing. It also means less friction with other strings if any are close in proximity. Munir Beken showed me that trick, he has all his wound strings in the tubes of wire jackets. I think 12-16 guage wire jackets will work, though I forget what I used the last time.

I've tried putting all the wound strings in tubes, but found it didn't really do that much to "smooth" out tuning, so now I just leave one on the bass string since it is the one usually closest to the pegbox wall.

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 2-21-2006 at 10:08 PM

Great Job Jameel exellent work.
Good idea Mav. I usualy used the paper trick like Jameel I'll try that if ever I get that problem again. As far as aquilas, I put some on my oud last month and I find that the plain G string particularly gives me problems. Its so thick and doesnt rest easy in the nut I find. Also I wonder if its the nylgut but for some reason the wound strings hold tuning like a charm and I can never get the plain G ones to stay tuned for verry long. It seems like they strech out or something because I get them tuned perfectly and after a few plucks latter they get out of tune. Anyone else noticed that?
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 2-22-2006 at 10:55 AM

Nylguts take a long time to settle in but once they do they stay in tune as well as any other nylon string. Jameel, I find that I can leave the nylgut trebles on through one change of bass strings so, if you can order the trebles separate, you can save a little by making them last for 2 string changes.

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com
sydney
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-22-2006 at 08:02 PM
I second that

Hello fine people

I second what you said about the treble strings, they last last longer . Also my aquila set seemed to take just a little longer to settle but when they do, they give the best sound. Base strings do last as long not sure why.

Can the base strings be orders separatly?

Kind Regards,
------------------
Emad
ofadel
Oud Maniac

Mood: thinking

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 01:00 AM

Hi Jameel, can you tell us who you order those tuning pegs from. I would like to order some and have them fitted. Thanks

omar
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ofadel
Hi Jameel, can you tell us who you order those tuning pegs from. I would like to order some and have them fitted. Thanks

omar

http://www.quinnviolins.com/qv_pegs.shtml

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 3-16-2006 at 12:23 PM

Any chance we can hear it Jameelo?
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-16-2006 at 12:34 PM

Whoops, I shipped it back to the owner! Totally forgot to record it. Sorry...

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 3-16-2006 at 01:14 PM

OOPS! I tought it was yours.
Oh well... lucky is the owner of it.
Mazin
Oud Lover

Mood: respect to all

[*] posted on 12-18-2006 at 04:38 AM

Another splended work Mr Jameel. thank you for the Pics. I have two requests.

*what material you used for the tailpice.

* I think that violin tuning pegs seems to be short in relation to the peg box and the whole look of an Oud. To all friends: any idea how to make the tunning pegs ourselves?:)
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-18-2006 at 06:55 AM

thanks mazin.

thats rosewood

to make your own pegs, you need a lathe. there are books and websites that illustrate the process.

Monawar Al-Jabar
Oud Junkie

Mood: playing Oud

[*] posted on 12-18-2006 at 09:58 AM

Hi Jameel :wavey:

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW No comment :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
Mazin
Oud Lover

Mood: respect to all

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 07:25 PM

Thanks Jameel. Pegs making webs? when you have time. I enjoy making Oud's part as much as completing one.

A Shuker (Mazin):applause:
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top