Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gilmer Wood Company (Portland, OR)
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 07:06 PM
Gilmer Wood Company (Portland, OR)

Hi,

Just thought I'd share another wood supplier for musical instruments. A good friend of mine also works there and divides his time between guitars and furniture pieces. I'm considering ordering a custom fretless classical from him, and I'm going crazy looking at all the beautiful kinds of wood and thinking about the possible combinations...I've attached a pic of one wood I'm considering, a type of rosewood from Madagascar called Bois de Rose...

Gilmer Wood

Take care,

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Learning

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 11:14 AM

Hi Mav,
Please let me know who is the right contact. I called their music instruments manager and his response is rather poor. I doubt it very much if they are that easy to work with. I hope I am wrong.
Best Regards,
Hatem
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 11:18 AM

Hi,

I've only dealt with my buddy who works there, Andrew Bradshaw, I don't know how the other people are. Sorry if they were rude.

Talk to my friend Andrew Bradshaw (aka Chuck) about what you are looking for. He might not recognize my real name, tell him "Theo" referred you (with such a difficult name, I've had lots of nicknames...). If he isn't helpful for some reason, please let me know.

Take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Learning

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 11:24 AM

Hi Theo!!!!
I dealt with Marc. I can't describe him as "rude". He is just non-responsive, not interested, doesn't care kind of person. I gave up on ordering after a few phone calls and no action. Maybe I just lost all my well-known charm!!!!
Have a great day,
Hatem
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 3-2-2006 at 05:22 PM

They are kind of woodsy different (rough edges) and come across impatient. I can understand, since they seem to know wood pretty well (wood pros) and maybe impatient with armatures like me who doesn't know the layman lingo of wood (I have only had one basic woodworking class in college about a century ago to boot.) They were slow getting back with me until I called a second time and they were lightning fast. I got my order fine.

Go To Top